05 6.0 died while driving, I'm 9 hours away from home working a job, need to fix ASAP - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

05 6.0 died while driving, I'm 9 hours away from home working a job, need to fix ASAP

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but need some help. I bought an 05 about 3 months ago and never had any issues. I'm working a job up in Cleveland, OH and need to get my truck up and running ASAP! It cranked up fine in the morning and didn't have any problems until the afternoon. It just lost power and
coasted to a stop. No warning lights or nothing! I thought it was the alternator so put a new one on and left the shop and about 10 miles down the road it lost power again. It threw a few codes, I will call the shop tomorrow cause I don't remember the numbers, but one glow plugs was bad and one injector wasn't out, but they said I needed to get it replaced soon. I honestly just know the absolute basics about diesels and don't know what the problem could be. I also got jumped off a few times and it died again while it was getting jumped off. Also, if anyone reading this lives in Cleveland can you please recommend a good diesel mechanic nearby. I'm up here for work and gotta get these jobs done and don't have time to fix anything to big. Could a battery be the issue or something serious? Thanks for the help in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:38 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage
Re: 05 6.0 died while driving, I'm 9 hours away from home working a job, need to fix ASAP

I think getting those codes would be essential to give you any worthwhile advice. Could be a sensor on the engine, could be the gauge cluster, could be something else as well.

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ok thanks I'm going to call first thing to get them and I'll post on here.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:55 AM
"resident smarty pants"

Re: 05 6.0 died while driving, I'm 9 hours away from home working a job, need to fix ASAP

Why did you think it was the alternator? Slow crank? Battery light? I agree that the batteries being bad could cause it to die like that. Those should be easy and free to test. Is the crank strong? Remember you need 150 rpm minimum to start.

Also, you can check to see if the secondary fuel filter bowl will fill quickly (w/ filter removed) w/ the key on. This is a two person test to keep from overfilling it. You can also drain some fuel from the HFCM water drain valve to see if it looks bad or smells funny. Just checked the temps there - pretty cold, maybe the fuel has gelled?

You should also check the oil level to make sure it is neither low nor overfull. Making sure that the oil filter bowl fills when cranking (should fill in 10-12 seconds without depressing the drain valve) is easy to do also.

The codes sure would help, so would engine data when cranking (ICP pressure and FICM voltages to start with), but it wouldn't be hard to do the free tests listed above.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

The guy I bought it from, my dad and a buddy of mine said it could've been that and it did test low when I was at the shop. They did check the batteries as well and they said they were ok, I'm gonna get them tested again tomorrow though too. I'm not sure if the cold just drained them? It's -2 up here. It normally cranks fine sometimes it does take a little longer but no, no battery light came on, neither did check engine light. I'm gonna go try and crank it and see what rpms it's turning over. And no I didn't know that, so thanks for telling me that! And is there a way to check if fuel has gelled? I started putting fuel additives in it yesterday on my drive up so it wouldn't gel, but I mightve not put enough. I did put the correct amount in according to the bottle, but maybe I need more since it's so cold? I will do the filter tests with a mechanic just cause I'm here by myself and will also get the codes and once I find a diesel mechanic I'll get the engine data as well. Thanks again for all the help!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:19 AM
"resident smarty pants"

Check to see if turning the key on fills the secondary fuel filter bowl. To do that you will need to remove the cap and the filter. That is one way to check on fuel gelling. If the fuel flows into the bowl quickly, you are probably ok. The other way is to drain the primary fuel filter at the water drain and/or remove that filter.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ok Im gonna do that first thing in the morning. Like I said in first post I don't much, and figured out engine data. FICM was at 49, ICP was around 19k, and ICR was 14.9. and I talked to my buddy and said those are all good
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:44 AM
"resident smarty pants"

All data needs to also have the conditions at which it was taken (ie at KOEO, cranking, idle, etc).

FICM at 49 (if it is when cranking) is good.

Would also need the FICM logic power when cranking. Need the FICM sync value also.

ICP at 19k doesn't make sense at any condition. It should be around 50 w/ KOEO, over 500 when cranking, and 800 + when idling.

IPR at 14.9 is fine at KOEO, but we need to know the cranking value also.

Don't forhet to post the cranking rpms.

Mark
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Checked fuel filter this morn, fuel was pretty thick and tried to get a jump and it was barely turning over. Had at most 100 rpms when I tried to crank it.
KOEO- FICM-48, ICP-0, ICR-14.9,Sync- 0
Cranking up- FICM- 47-49, ICP-2050, ICR-69, sync-1
It sounded better last night when I tried to crank it so I think one of the batteries is dead
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:53 PM
"resident smarty pants"

What oil do you have in it? 15W40 is going to make it a lot more sluggish to start. A 5W40 or a 10W30 is much preferred in winter time (in fact Ford doesn't recommend 15W40 below 40 F).

You have a block heater in it (they all came that way). Do you have a cord for it? If not, get one and plug it in for a few hours.

Only you can evaluate the condition of the fuel. If you say it looks thick, then IMO it is also a problem. You probably should plan on replacing both fuel filters. Get OEM filters, not aftermarket.

IMO if one battery is bad, then get two new ones unless the good battery is new or almost new.

bear in mind, you could have a starter going out also, but the place to start is with CONFIRMED good healthy batteries.
HilhavenFarm likes this.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode