Copper Bronze Brass something in filter housing that dosent belong there - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
BKB
PSN Local

Copper Bronze Brass something in filter housing that dosent belong there

Just got done with cab off HG, studs, Updates on my 05 80k miles. No issues with truck other then high coolant pressures before. Weird string of events happened ( 3rd day of driving WOT run sit at a light and low oil pressure warning comes on) go home put a mechanical gauge on truck and im reading bar not psi and think I have 5 psi not 74 psi like I really have (idiot). Pull oil filter housing and see non metallic particles in the bottom, still thinking I have a LPOP issue and bearing material in filter. Pull cab HPOP reservoir is pretty clean, IPR screen clean, oil pan is glittery, LPOP still can see all factory machine marks on everything 100% new, remove my mechanical gauge and see the outer black ring is in BAR not PSI. I feel better knowing engine had great oil pressure for 180'F T6 5-40 but still why did I strike gold. Pulled turbo apart and it looks new inside zero in - out movement and little side to side 30k miles on ford reman. Tried to measure oil clearances but I only have pins to check bushing ID and I have under .001 from shaft to ID. Im stumped and really don't want to pull rods, and drop crank to find nothing is wrong with this engine. I replaced pushrods with the shorter 6.4 rods and the copper coating that is on the tip looks a lot like whats in my engine, any chance this is what it is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4789.jpg (8.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg pic 777.jpg (11.2 KB, 27 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 12:32 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage
Re: Copper Bronze Brass something in filter housing that dosent belong there

A lot of things are possible, to include your theory. Really, unless you do an oil analysis, there's no way to know what that is for certain. And, only with repeat analysis will you be able to know if it's a problem or the norm. Personally, I'd bolt her back up and continue on about my day.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
BKB
PSN Local

The struggle is real. Do i throw it together and always wander if its going to last, or do a full tear down and throw a billet cam in it. With 80k miles and 15 miles on new HGs it does kill me to do a full tear down, also negates any good deals i got on the parts i purchased before.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
BKB
PSN Local

Just pulled oil cooler and only thing i found was more copper looking deposits in the channel that feeds the turbo EOT & EOP sensors. Pulling the valve cover i remembered i used Fel-Pro gaskets and they have the little copper donuts around the push rods. Push rods look close but i cant tell without taking more apart if they are rubbing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crap1.jpg (12.4 KB, 16 views)
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:20 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage

Why not try to collect as much of that as you can and send it off to Blackstone for an oil analysis? Will cost you 25 bucks, but you'll be able to know if it's copper, brass, or some coating on the HG or pushrods. That's a lot of peace of mind purchased for just 25 bucks.
HilhavenFarm likes this.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
BKB
PSN Local

This is the last two rod bearings upper and lower. Don't know if this has been going on for a long time or was a sudden issue. Shocked at 80k miles thought these bottom ends last a long time. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (119.5 KB, 17 views)
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 02:06 PM
PSN Newb

As long as the crank jornals look decent, i think i would check the mains, polish the rod jornals with fine cloth, put in a whole set of new rod bearings. one looks more like wear over some time? there could have been a temporary lack of lubrication but they dont look that bad. main thing is to find out why. oil pump ? replace it maybe, and hope for the best on the cam bearings. when you think you are ok on the oil pressure, start driving it and change the oil a few times and look for more metal. more metal.
way I see it you dont have that much to lose, I would take the gamble.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:36 PM
PSN Newb

On second thought these bearings dont look like they are worn bad enough to make a lot of metal in the oil, the pictures don't give an idea of how much stuff is in the oil, so two bearing trashed, one looks like posibily long term wear, the other lack of oil. could be the cam bearings went, that could explaain a lot of metal. The mains especailly the thrust bearing part could have gone. Maybe you need to tear down the engine after all. it would be a judgement call based on how much metal versus the bearing appearance. Still there is the question, what happened. If you pulled the pan during the cab off, there could have been a short oil starvation till the pump got primed but other than that? the issue that caused this might remain, one bearing looks like possisbly a slightly bent rod, maybe. Anyway, good luck,
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
BKB
PSN Local

I agree not enough damage shown yet for whats in the pan and filter housing. Cam is coming out i had to build an engine stand first. When i did the HG i didn't touch anything other than the heads, pulled the pan after i found metal. Im confused this truck pulls our camper and i never found anything in the oil before. Also have not found any thing that i caused. No antifreeze in the oil, Oil pan was spotless other then the gold flake, LPOP was like new so its not like i sucked up crap, Everything was assembled as it should, crank end play .007. Truck ran great never lost power or smoked or did anything weird. Been really beating myself up on this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b1.jpg (13.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg b2.jpg (24.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg b3.jpg (23.1 KB, 12 views)
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:40 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Did you send an oil sample off?

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in