2004 6.0 Rough Acceleration - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

2004 6.0 Rough Acceleration

Hey All,

Complete newbie here (both to the forum and to the diesel market). I am fairly technically inclined, and can hold my own on all of the regular maintenance, and can at least know what I'm talking about and looking at with some more advanced things. To be completely honest, though, I'm still scared sh**less of messing around with the diesel engine too much.

About 15,000 miles ago, I picked up a 2004 F350 with the 6.0 (now with 209,000 miles). It's been an incredible learning experience, and despite all of the problems I've encountered and the money I've put into it, I've loved owning the truck. However, I've come across a bit of a problem that I need to ask your help with...

A little while ago, my truck started doing this weird thing where it will violently shake after shifting and trying to accelerate in the range of about 45 to 55 MPH. When I let the truck shift down, and have the RPM drop slightly, the truck will very violently shake when I hit the accelerator after. If I really push it to the floor, it will hesitantly kick the RPMs high and it won't happen. Oddly enough, if I put the truck into Tow/Haul mode around 45 MPH when it starts to happen, it will be perfectly fine. If I try to put it into Tow/Haul around 55 MPH when it happens, it will still happen as "normally."

I decided to buy an OBD2 scanner and connect it to the Torque Pro app to go ahead and get some insight as to what the problem might be. Upon reading the codes and monitoring the real time data while driving, I haven't been able to come up with much. When the problems occur, there are no misfires, the FICM voltages seem to be around normal, and I can't find anything on the app to show that the truck is operating poorly. I have gone ahead and attached screenshots from the app to this post with the data that I think could be relevant for you guys to see. I have included the fault codes that the scanner read, as well as a few different screenshots from monitoring the real time data while driving. The FICM voltage could drop as low as 46 or 46.5 while driving (without the problem occurring) but the images attached represent what it was most of the time.

My guess is that it is some sort of injector problem, but I don't know if this is a symptom of a faulty injector, and I'd really hate to drop the money on replacing those if that's not the problem. I'm a little scared it could be a tranny problem due to it happening upon shifting and Tow/Haul mode helping it in certain situations. But I'm a little scared to even consider that, to be honest.

I apologize for the long post, but I'm really hoping to get this resolved so wanted to give you guys the information that I had! Please let me know if there is any other information that I should go ahead and look into. Thank you all for the help, I've been reading this forum since I purchased the truck.

Best,
ID2NY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fault Codes.jpg (6.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Data 1.jpg (8.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Data 2.jpg (8.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Data 3.jpg (8.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Data 4.jpg (8.3 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: 2004 6.0 Rough Acceleration

Just Realized I posted this in the wrong forum.. I am working on getting it deleted.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Moved to the correct forum. Thanks guys.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:50 PM
PSN Local

Mine is a 7.3l but does about the same thing until inline gets hot then no more shakes. I have replaced everything except my injectors. I have concluded that I need new injectors. Also check your driveshaft as that is another common problem for shakes. It may need new u-joints.if its s long bed extended cab also check the carrier bearing. I hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Mine is a 7.3l but does about the same thing until inline gets hot then no more shakes. I have replaced everything except my injectors. I have concluded that I need new injectors. Also check your driveshaft as that is another common problem for shakes. It may need new u-joints.if its s long bed extended cab also check the carrier bearing. I hope this helps.

I will definitely check the carrier bearing! It is the CC Long bed, and starting to look into what a bad carrier bearing could cause, it could be similar. Thank you.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:09 PM
PSN Local

You are very welcome. Let me know what you find. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode