Intermittent long crank - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Intermittent long crank

Hello. I’m having an issue with this truck. It’s an 05 f350 6.0L super duty lariat. It has intermittent long cranking seems to be while above 90F oil temp. Truck does not stall/die when hot. found no codes, batteries low with bad alternator, good power balance test and relative compression tests, non functioning IPR valve. Replaced IPR valve. Replaced alternator and installed 2 new batteries. Builds icp quickly and maintains desired pressure. Long crank while hot still intermittently present after repairs. monitored sync and ficm sync while cranking. ficm sync intermittently doesn’t seem to change to yes as soon as sync and when this happens truck won’t start until it does. As soon as ficm sync present, truck starts. Put in good ficm and pcm for testing purposes, no change. Did a nitrogen test and determined it is a good sealed system. When ficm sync is not engaged, cranking rpms stay under 140.
Icp v key on engine off: .23V
Icp v cranking: 1.12V
Icp cranking: approx 830psi
Fuel pressure at idle: 63psi
Fuel pressure at wide open throttle: 56psi
Any info or direction is very much appreciated as ideas and patience are wearing thin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 12:45 AM
PSN Newb

Re: Intermittent long crank

what is the irp percentage?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 12:48 AM
PSN Newb

Re: Intermittent long crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeveless View Post
what is the irp percentage?
it sounds to me the viscosity change of oil when warm is effecting it and may have a small oil pressure leak.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:33 AM
PSN Newb

Have a mechanic check your cranking oil pressure when engine is hot. My truck first started having hot start issues when pulling a trailer. My mechanic said it might be an o-ring in the high pressure oil system, which there is around 16 of them. Cranking oil pressure was around 500. So I decided to keep driving till it got worse, thinking it would be easier to identify the bad o-ring. The issue gradually worsened to the point of having to let the truck idle while running errands or giving it an hour to cool down so it would start again. Finally one day it died while driving. Took it into mechanic, all o-rings were good. Unfortunately it turned out to be the high pressure oil pump.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:43 AM
PSN Newb

Sorry, I didn't see that you had posted your scan results.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:31 AM
PSN Newb

Soory, I didn't see you had posted your scan results.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode