Help Me Out - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Question Help Me Out

Ok I got a 2004 to 2005 f250 6.0 that is a no start... The Ipr is on the passenger side of the motor so I'm guessing 05 but title says 04. It has stumped some of the best mechanics around... One day you go out and turn the key it will fire right up. One day you may try to crank it and it won't crank for days. It really has a mind of its own. Sometimes when it rains it won't start. I have got it to crank before by unplugging the glow plug module and plugging it back in... Unhooking the batteries for about 30mins and hooking them back up. Sometimes a gas rag will do the trick other times nothing seems to work. My scan gauge shows no codes but when I try to crank it Ipr is under 300 I unplugged the Ipr sensor and it hit over 1000psi but still didn't crank. I'm fixing to hook a charger to the Batteries and try it again with the Ipr unplugged and see what it does. Can Anyone Please Help Me Out...

I don't know if I got a bad connection somewhere or maybe a lose ground. Maybe a bad plug on the Ipr sensor. I've narrowed it down to being somewhere around the glowplug module and the Ipr valve I THINK......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:05 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Re: Help Me Out

The thing you are describing as the IPR is actually the ICP sensor. You can't ever get a start by unplugging the IPR valve because it would always be dumping pressure then. You unplug the ICP sensor if you suspect that the sensor is bad. This can help in the troubleshooting process - if you have a bad ICP sensor. It does this because the PCM will use an inferred ICP value when it doesn't see a voltage signal from the sensor.

All IPR valves are at the back of the engine near the firewall - off of the discharge of the high pressure oil pump. They are "duty-cycled" closed so that the desired ICP pressure can be reached.

Also, the scangaugeII is not a great code reader. Downloading ForScan to a smart phone and getting a good OBDII adapter would get you a better code reader.

We need to see cranking data when it isn't starting:
cam/crank sync
FICM sync
cranking rpm
FICM LPower (logic power)
FICMVPower (vehicle power)
FICMMPower (main power)
ICP volts
ICP pressure
ICP desired pressure
IPR % duty cycle
v-reference voltage

All of the above PIDs should be available from the scangauge

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank You sir will my truck crank if the ICP sensor is unplugged? because with it unplugged it Hit 1000 Psi and I only need 500 psi to crank it or how does that work

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Exclamation Re: Help Me Out

[QUOTE=Jinglehopper;6150881]Ok I got a 2004 to 2005 f250 6.0 that is a no start... The Icp is on the passenger side of the motor so I'm guessing 05 but title says 04. It has stumped some of the best mechanics around... One day you go out and turn the key it will fire right up. One day you may try to crank it and it won't crank for days. It really has a mind of its own. Sometimes when it rains it won't start. I have got it to crank before by unplugging the glow plug module and plugging it back in... Unhooking the batteries for about 30mins and hooking them back up. Sometimes a gas rag will do the trick other times nothing seems to work. My scan gauge shows no codes but when I try to crank it Ipr is under 300 I unplugged the Icp sensor and it hit over 1000psi but still didn't crank. I'm fixing to hook a charger to the Batteries and try it again with the Icp unplugged and see what it does. Can Anyone Please Help Me Out...

I don't know if I got a bad connection somewhere or maybe a lose ground. Maybe a bad plug on the Icp sensor.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:08 PM
"resident smarty pants"

The ICP sensor is a known reliability issue. More so when it is located behind the turbo than when it is on the passenger valve cover, but even there it can fail. If it (the sensor) shorts out it can cause a no-start. By disconnecting it, the electrical short is removed and the PCM estimates the starting value. It will assume a value above 500 psig and it will start if that (the sensor electrical short) is the only issue.

The randomness you describe may or may not be the ICP sensor though. We would need to see readings when the engine won't start to get a better idea of the issue(s).

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

It won't crank with it unplugged but it reads over 1000 psi... plugged in it reads under 300 psi.... Voltage is 10.7... how can I test the ICP to se if its shorted out?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I gotta finish setting up all the pids in my scan gauge and I'll list all the readings you requested when I'm done. Thank you for helping me man I an currently unemployed with a wife and 2 children and I don't have the money to take it to a shop so I am having to learn and troubleshoot in the dark I know very little about this truck nut I can't get a job with no way to get back and forth
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:20 PM
Master BS'er

It won't crank or it won't start? Two different things

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Alright so it spit the code P2285 That was probably from me unplugging the ICP sensor and trying to crank it.
KOEO Trying To Crank
FLP 12.0 10.0
FMP 48.5 48.5
ICV 0.23 0.50
ICP 0 267
IPR 14.8 84.7
CVI 4.97 4.97
VLT 12.2 10.4
SYC 0 1
FSS 0 140
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:01 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Jamie has an excellent point.

Not cranking means the starter isn't spinning and the engine isn't turning over at all.

I assumed from the wording in your first post that you really meant that it wasn't starting. I should not have just assumed, I should have asked like Jamie did.

Could you confirm that the engine is ALWAYS turning over, it just isn't starting?

From your post above, you are getting SOME pressure in the high pressure system, so clearly the engine is turning during that test.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode