No crank, no start need help!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

No crank, no start need help!!

Need some help with an issue with my 2006 F250 XLT 4wd with 260k.

I just bought the truck from the CAT Marine Dealer I work for and the truck had zero issues until it sat for a month. The truck is bone stock other than an EGR delete which I just completed and cleaned the turbo. With the intake off I checked the wiring harness very good for chafes, checked fuses/relays, and batteries are good. I've read several forums and cannot find exactly my issue.

When turning the ignition on you can hear the injectors buzz, the interior lights, locks, windows, radio etc. all work. When trying to start the truck nothing happens you hear the relay click in the fuse box. I checked all the fuses and relays, no issues. Even the box under the hood.

I can jump start the truck using the wire on the passenger fender and drive the truck. The cluster shows dashes where the mileage should read out, the trans temp, coolant temp, and boost pressure gauges don't work so the engine is very sluggish getting up to speed, wont shift into overdrive, and is very lethargic shifting into forward and reverse. Pretty sure the truck is going to be in limp mode since the trans temp gauge doesn't work. The dash reads check gauges of course, has abs light, and check engine light displayed.

Spoke with circuit board medics thinking my cluster was bad and they said if I had dashes on the mileage read out then it's the PCM. They don't repair my PCM so I would have to buy a new one.

I am thinking this is my problem or the fuse panel block inside the cab? The truck used to be driven once a week for 6 hour trips delivering parts between shops. Our parts driver had zero issues.

I do know a couple of techs removed the FICM to test on another service truck and I had to reinstall it when I picked the truck up. Cruising home 55-60 MPH was 2,600 RPM's.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: No crank, no start need help!!

I just checked the fuse panel with a mulitmeter and had power to all the fuses and relays
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 07:26 PM
"resident smarty pants"

It isn't common for a PCM to go out.

Do you have a way to pull engine data from the PCM? You need a scan tool of some sort. A ScangaugeII works well. Also, there are several smart phone apps that work well (ForScan and Torque Pro).

If the PCM is bad, you won't be able to pull any data, but if you do pull engine data, then I would highly doubt it is a PCM issue.

First things I would want to see in engine data are (cranking w/ starter wire and key-on):
cranking volts
FICM Logic Power (LPower) when cranking
FICM Main Power (MPower) when cranking
rpms when cranking
ICP volts when cranking
v-reference voltage when cranking

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 07:28 PM
PSN Veteran

I recently saw a post where a guy replaced his cluster, then decided to look at the old one, he found a cold solder joint and fixed it.
Otherwise I would maybe say the range sensor is bad.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I pulled the codes with my brothers SCT and only thing it showed was loss of communication with ICP forgot to write the number down. I had a scangauge from my old 06 somewhere have to find it. Hopefully going to get a scan ran on it with a buddies snap on scanner here soon.

I will check with the FICM tests, and I do have one to swap on the truck will try that.

Thanks for the help I ill follow up! If anyone thinks of anything feel free to share!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Pulled codes some raised some flags. I do know that the FICM was removed to test issues on other trucks I bet I don't have the correct FICM for this truck. PCM still might be suspect

U1900 controller area network abs
B2900 VIN Number Mismatch abs
P0460 Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit
P0603 internal control module keep alive memory malfunction
P0649 speed control lamp control circuit
U0101 lost comm with transmission control module
U0155 lost comm with instrument cluster module

U0306 software incompatibility with FICM
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 08:47 PM
"resident smarty pants"

I have swapped FICMs from all years and models. Never had a problem cranking and starting.

Regarding the B2900:

B2900 This is for the ABS (anti-lock brake system) A lot of modules or PCMs are VIN protected you can not erase it. The PCM is reporting that the ABS module is not meant for the vehicle. However, it could come from a damaged ABS module or a communication issue.

Read more:

http://engine-codes.com/qa/24477/wha...#ixzz33m5230Wc

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 08:53 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Also -

Check Engine Light on with P0460 Fuel Level Sensor Code:
This may be caused by a miscommunication of fuel level status between the instrument cluster and engine computer. This code is set when the engine computer does not see the fuel level dropping it expects. It may be caused by customer-installed items, such as a remote start system that does not power the dash when activated, an over-sized fuel tank or in-bed fuel tank. If these conditions do not exist, the engine computer should be reprogrammed using WDS/IDS version 43.4 or higher. This condition can also be caused by fueling with the engine running, parking on an angle, or driving up a long grade. In some cases the fuel level sender may be faulty, or have a sulfur build up on the sender and have code P463 (use Chevron Techron Plus Concentrate to correct). TSB 06-13-11

I BELIEVE that subsequent flash updates (after 2010 or 2011 IIRC) corrected the fueling when running issue.

P0649 - cruise control lamp control circuit

Mark
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 08:56 PM
"resident smarty pants"

With all the communication issues, I guess it sure might be the PCM. Have you "double checked" all the fuses?

Since it actually starts and runs (although poorly) w/ the starter solenoid wire jumpered, it makes me question the PCM as the primary issue, but it could be.

Mark
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I double checked all the fuses and even replaced the main ones.

I do know when the truck was parked it was a free for all for one individual that worked at the branch he took the FICM out and tested it on his personal truck to diagnose his issue. Claimed it was the harness not the FICM on his truck. It wouldnít surprise me if I have his bum FICM or PCM since the truck really drove flawlessly before it was parked.

In the last 2 years itís made 7 trips to and from Rhode Island, Michigan, and Alabama from NC where we are from. All with towing a 10k pound enclosed trailer. Never skipped a beat.

Now since he messed with the truck itís got issues.

Iíve got a buddy of mine whoís a very good mechanic works for the county bus garage and has and had several 6.0ís and 7.3ís, he owns his own high dollar computerized scanning tools and software he can do everything but reprogram the software.

Heís going to do some tests on the FICM, TCM, and PCM tomorrow.

Heís thinking I have someoneís junk computers.

Iíll follow up tomorrow on what we find

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode