Hard start, surges, runs rough when cold. FICM or injectors? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Question Hard start, surges, runs rough when cold. FICM or injectors?

Guys:

I'm at a little bit of a crossroads here...

2005 Excursion with 230K miles on the clock. New batteries, good charging system and ALWAYS see 47.5V to 48.5V FICM power on the SCT live wire.

When it is cold, usually a longer crank than normal and runs rough, until driven about three miles. Also see hard start on warm starts. Feel some surging at light throttle application. Hot starts are OK.

I did the injector test on IDS and when it was ice cold, I will only hear two injectors fire. Another time I did the test ice cold, I heard 6 fire. If the test is repeated when hot, all 8 fire.

The question is, can I have six bad injectors, or could the FICM be responsible, even though FICM power is rock solid around 48V?

Best Regards,
Steve
Houston, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 02:32 AM
PSN Newb

Re: Hard start, surges, runs rough when cold. FICM or injectors?

I would think it's likely a stiction issues with the injectors on cold start ups. sometimes a treatment like revx can help with an oil change. fresh oil change and fuel filters with an additive in both would be my first step.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 02:48 AM
PSN Local

Mine ran rough either hot or cold. I had issues before with one bad injector as it got colder i was only running on 5 cylinders and 4 injectors were bad went ahead and replaced all 8 and havenít had any issues since then. I would say replace all injectors and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the reply.

About a week ago, oil was changed and today I did both fuel filters. Tried to find RevX at the local parts houses and no cigar. I did shoot a quart of the Power Service Diesel injector cleaner into the tank today, for whatever that's worth.

Regards,
Steve
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 12:49 PM
"resident smarty pants"

It would be good to listen closely and count when you are doing the injector testing. They are tested in numerical order (1-8) so you should make a mental note of which two don't have the proper sound during the test.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 12:50 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skent View Post
Thanks for the reply.

About a week ago, oil was changed and today I did both fuel filters. Tried to find RevX at the local parts houses and no cigar. I did shoot a quart of the Power Service Diesel injector cleaner into the tank today, for whatever that's worth.

Regards,
Steve
Injector cleaner is for the fuel side. IMO it is a waste of money. Stiction treatment is for the oil side. IMO you need an oil side treatment, like 207RIDER mentioned, or new injectors.

So, what oil are you using? Did you just add a 15W40 oil for your oil change?

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 12:58 PM
PSN Newb

yes like I mentioned earlier in the post you can try the Rev x treatment or another substitute it may work as others including myself had great luck with it before, I had similar stiction issues and after a few fresh oil changes with rotella t6 5w40 and the Rev x treatment and it did work out about 90% of the issues however it's generally a bandage for a bigger problem which could be injectors

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic1 View Post
Injector cleaner is for the fuel side. IMO it is a waste of money. Stiction treatment is for the oil side. IMO you need an oil side treatment, like 207RIDER mentioned, or new injectors.

So, what oil are you using? Did you just add a 15W40 oil for your oil change?
I am using Delo 5W40 full synthetic. Have been running it for 2.5 years. Are any of the oil side treatment products available at the big parts houses or are they online order only?

Best Regards,
Steve
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
It would be good to listen closely and count when you are doing the injector testing. They are tested in numerical order (1-8) so you should make a mental note of which two don't have the proper sound during the test.
Yup. The one thing that is consistent is that whenever the test is performed and it is cold, #6 never fires.

I see the same deficiency when running the cylinder contribution test when it is cold. When it is surging, #6 is down.

Best Regards,
Steve
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
I will go and run the injector test now since it is cold and report back....

Best Regards,
Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode