Limited slip rear end...is this normal? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By tjctransport
  • 2 Post By Lt.Dan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Exclamation Limited slip rear end...is this normal?

I've got an 05' F250 (FX4) with the limited slip 3:73 rear end. In the snow or wet grass, you can tell the limited slip is working because it will spin both rear tires at the same time. Today I was towing my 16ft flat bed trailer and had an issue where I needed to pull over on the side of a country road to check something out. I pulled over far enough to get one rear tire in some wet grass/mud. For the life of me I coudln't get the truck back on the dry pavement.......the tire that was on the pavement just sat there, but the tire in the mud just spun.......it acted just like a standard open diff.

I ended up having to get out and lock the front hubs and put it in 4x4 in order to move the 3-4ft forward in order to get both rear tires on the pavement.

Are the clutches worn out in my limited slip diff, or is that how they are supposed to act when you have one tire with 100% traction, and the other with 0% ? Maybe the clutches just aren't strong enough to put the full load to the tire that was on the pavement? I was pretty disappointed that I had to drop it in 4x4.......

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 10:02 PM
alleged moderator

Re: Limited slip rear end...is this normal?

that is normal. next time in that situation, gently apply the brakes.
the braking action should send power to both wheels, like traction control.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 10:27 PM
Project Shamu

I have noticed this as well. Granted mine is much older, but a gentle progression into the throttle may help as well. Get both tires going before you get on the throttle hard, its easier to keep it locked at lower speeds then to get it to lock at higher speeds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1983 F150 SCSB Flareside, 302 w/ AOD Trans

2002 F450 SCFB, 7.3 PSD 2wd w/ 144,000 miles
SOLD

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:06 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjctransport View Post
that is normal. next time in that situation, gently apply the brakes.
the braking action should send power to both wheels, like traction control.
That's the way I understood lsd's work.
Which otoh, is why people claim factory lsd's are junk, it is operator error.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 11:41 AM

You can rebuild it if you want, Iíve read where you can toss an extra clutch in it and then donít add so much friction modifier to get the desired results.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 11:56 AM
don't play well w others

Use caution, turning sharp corners when you build them too tight is hard on axles, tires and clutches

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:16 AM
PSN Local

I'm of the group with little to no respect for Ford limited slip carriers. Sure, maybe feathering the brake helps them work a bit better, but there isn't a chance I'm going to feather the brake as I mash the right pedal tuning unto traffic to try and prevent the inside tire from breaking free. They don't seem too bad... until you have a real carrier (like an Eaton Truetrac). Just my personal opinion, and I think your carrier is fine.

2004 F-250 Lariat, 6.0, SCLB, 4wd, Magnaflow turbo-back, EGR delete, studded, 6.4 banjo, new oil cooler and HPOP as of 5-11-2014
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:20 AM
Project Shamu

I've had detroit trutrac installed in other vehicles before, they still don't work as advertised, the only way to guarantee both tires spin is with a spool.

1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more

1983 F150 SCSB Flareside, 302 w/ AOD Trans

2002 F450 SCFB, 7.3 PSD 2wd w/ 144,000 miles
SOLD
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 07:57 PM
m j
PSN Veteran

or a detroit/grizzly which is what I use in every truck front and rear

1997 F250 rclb 4x4,Comp910s,SRP1.1,Irate T4 s468,FullForce 350/200,efuel A1000 5/8" drawstraw,DI fuel fittings,D60f Detroit,Grizzly10.25,windowed 7.3 Oct 9/14
rebuild .010 riffraff cut pistons,swamps fire ring kit,Girdle,high-filled block,Manley rods,SBC dualdisc,ATI dampner,MorelLifters,MantonPushrods,ColtCam,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode