2006 6.0 long crank - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

2006 6.0 long crank

Hi guys, I’m in So Cal and the trucks are a little pricey here.. I managed to find an 06 one owner F350 super duty Lariet Dually crew cab with 128k for 17.9k... the truck looks beautiful the inside and paint are like new.. the truck runs and shifts great but I noticed when starting it cold after letting the glows heat up it cranked for about ten seconds before it fired... after it warmed up it seemed to start a bit faster but it definitely took a few seconds of cranking.. now they didn’t want to budge on price and I’ve been grinding them and I got them to go about a grand less and I’m here now trying to decide what to do.. I’ve seen that this could be a leaky STC fitting but from what I hear this fitting requires the motor to be opened up to fix and is a lot of labor. Is this true? Could it be anything else? How much money could I be looking at to pay someone to fix this? I’ll be tapped out after buying this for a while if I do.. any help would be highly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 02:52 AM
Train Whistlin' Ex driver

Garage
Walk away. Unless you have a strong need for THAT specific truck walk away. If you're set on buying a 6.0 get a scan tool (torque app with Bluetooth adapter, scanguage, etc...) to check engine parameters while you shop, this can help narrow down an HPOP issue from a low voltage issue. If you're already doing that then I apologize for wasting your time.

2003 Excursion 6.0, 2004 front cover, Stock head bolts, unknown EGR delete, 4" Diamond Eye turbo back exhaust, Magnaflow 60110 catalytic converter (makes the '03 whistle livable), Hellwig Sway bar, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Gearhead tunes - 8k tow or SRL depending on my level of 6.0 paranoia, unknown work by previous owners...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:26 AM

Garage
Also, it seems that prices for these trucks are all over the place these days and unless the cost of the used truck, plus whatever the cost to rebuild is equals less than the cost of a newer vehicle - even a gas version - then I don't see much point in buying the old diesel. I happen to find my Ex at the intersection of those prices so I took the gamble, so far so good, but I stash cash away when able just in case...

2003 Excursion 6.0, 2004 front cover, Stock head bolts, unknown EGR delete, 4" Diamond Eye turbo back exhaust, Magnaflow 60110 catalytic converter (makes the '03 whistle livable), Hellwig Sway bar, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Gearhead tunes - 8k tow or SRL depending on my level of 6.0 paranoia, unknown work by previous owners...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Well I actually just bought it right now because I was able to grind them down another grand... this truck is really like new.. literally the interior looks like brand new drivers seat included and the exterior is very nice too.. not to mention the CarFax shows it was one owner and they always serviced it on time and at the dealer... compared to the junk everywhere else I felt even if I had to spend a couple grand on an HPOP it would still be a nice truck.. that being said what’s the best way to figure this out? Which scanner is best? Thanks again!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I just ordered a Scangauge 2 on Amazon, it will be here tomorrow. There were reviews specifically saying how great it was for the Powerstroke 6.0 so hopefully it proves to be a good buy... I just bought a 2019 Jayco Eagle trailer and needed a truck to be able to tow it.. after buying a $60,000 trailer I really didn’t want to go spend more than that on a new diesel... I was looking at higher mileage trucks but I was finding trucks from 04-05 with over 200k miles for 14k or so... so for three grand more I got a beautiful one owner truck with half the miles.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:00 AM

Garage
Well congrats then! If you can, return the scanguage. Get a Bluetooth or wifi ODBII puck and use an old smartphone or tablet with something like torque pro and forscan. Torque is for guages and forscan is for codes and basic diagnostics (the laptop version requires a USB odb device but is more robust).

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:10 AM

Garage
Sorry, OBDii device not ODBii. I had the scanguage2 but it's overpriced when compared to the app versions of scanner, especially if you have an old cellphone just lying around. For the long crank and/or no start, Google around a little and you'll find checklists for what to check. Also get a good shop manual. Diagnostic step one may be try unplugging the ICP sensor and see if it starts better. Beyond that you may need to do an airtest to pinpoint a high pressure oil leak.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:11 AM

Garage
Did the owner update the stand pipes and dummy plugs?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:15 AM

Garage
And I feel you on the overall truck cost, I got rid of a 2015 ram 2500 and got an 03 Excursion because of the 30k price gap! That, and hauling six people and two dogs in the crew cab was a bit tight!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:14 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Re: 2006 6.0 long crank

The 05-07 HPOPs are very reliable. Don't change it out.

There is a lot to learn about troubleshooting a 6.0L! If you start guessing, it gets expensive.

Starting better when warm is more of a FICM (or injector) issue than an issue with the high pressure oil.

Get the ForScan app for a smartphone or a laptop. It requires an ELM327 adapter or a USB to OBDII cable for the laptop.

First thing to check is for codes. ForScan is a great code reader.

Also, you need to install a fuel pressure sensor and gauge ..... or at least have it checked. Low fuel pressure can seriously damage injectors and then they can trash the motor.

The type of coolant you run can cause expensive issues. You should first take your ForScan app and determine if your oil cooler is starting to plug up. You run the truck until it is COMPLETELY up to temperature (at least 15 minutes) and then pull the ACTUAL coolant and oil temperatures.

If the oil is more than 10 degrees hotter than the coolant, then the oil cooler is plugging up. It could fail and cause more issues.

Running hot, and running with bad injectors, are two of the more expensive issues that you can have. If you monitor the truck and pay attention to things, you can avoid big problems. If you think you can just drive it and not watch things, it will bite you and you will soon be posting that it is a POS.
Weatherlite likes this.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode