Total Newbie Question - Cold weather. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By 007matman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Total Newbie Question - Cold weather.

So... It's my first winter owning a Diesel truck.

What's the deal with Anti-Gel?

I live in North Georgia and in this area we do get some coldish weather (single digits are possible on the rare occasion). However, most of the time we see low temps hovering around the 30's.

I am planning on heading up North here in a few weeks.. they're having highs in the single digits and lows well below zero.

I see some posts online that indicate that the Anti-Gel is needed, others that indicate that it is already in the fuel. Some say there is always a sign indicating what temp the fuel so safe to use down to. I've never seen one of these signs.

Which is it? How do I know? Should I use it?

How do you all measure the appropriate amount? Smallest jug I could find was 64 oz and would treat 300gal. I have a 30gal tank.

Sorry for my long post.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 08:57 AM
alleged moderator

Re: Total Newbie Question - Cold weather.

here in the northeast they start selling winter blend fuel around end of october.(allegedly)
in 45 years of running diesels, i have only had one gel up on me, and that was back in 79.
if you want to run 1/2 bottle of diesel fuel conditioner in each tank for piece of mind, it will not hurt it. if you buy that 64 ounce bottle of anti gel, just add 6 ounces per tank when you fill up and you will be safe to around 20 or 30 below zero.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 09:23 AM
PSN intsigator

I used Howes in North Dakota and stayed with #2 diesel all winter never had a problem even a -40. I still use it today as a treatment for my fuel on every fill up

Sent from my super awesome outdated Samsung phone while waiting for masakimms# 500mA overdraw draw to catch fire which turd will be blamed for and we will be sitting on dustybumpers tailgate watching the fire and plotting against yommy.

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 02:20 AM
S&R Powerstroke

I worked on a truck recently had issues intermittently with fuel pressure. Just make sure the white paper insert inside of the cap of the treatment bottle doesnt end of in the fuel tank. :)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for your responses.

I'm still confused though.. I think I'm going to just use it in the winter months to be safe.. the brand I bought is Lucas.

Not really sure if it's required but since I don't see signs that indicate it has been treated at stations down here I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 08:12 AM
PSN Newb

Hah, Northern Georgia, thats cute. :P

Always use your block heater if possible, yes I'm the guy at your hotel with an extension cord winding up the stairs. The anti-gel additive does help I guess, just pour some in when you get gas. Remember that your glow plugs are on for about 2min, don't try and start right away; bundle up, listen to your favorite song for a bit, then crank.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 12:47 PM
don't play well w others

I use power service in all my diesels all year long. Off road equipment too
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...QwzwIWA&adurl=

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack3d_Dually View Post
Hah, Northern Georgia, thats cute.

Always use your block heater if possible, yes I'm the guy at your hotel with an extension cord winding up the stairs. The anti-gel additive does help I guess, just pour some in when you get gas. Remember that your glow plugs are on for about 2min, don't try and start right away; bundle up, listen to your favorite song for a bit, then crank.
Yeah yeah yeah.. lol. I'm not as worried about northern Georgia but I am between the mountains and Atlanta so we do see some single digits on the occasion. Yes, some of Georgia does actually get snow.

It's also my first Diesel and I'm a little uncertain about all this yet.

It's mostly when I go North this winter up to SoDak, Neb, and IA.

I bought some 9 oz squeeze bottles that seal up well. I filled those with Lucas Anti-Gel and will throw about 6oz in the tank whenever I fill up (a complete tank). The bottles are nice because they have measurements on the outside of the bottle and make it easy if I'm.just doing a half tank of fuel.

They fit nice in the door cubby and don't leak.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
heavydoc and Dustybumpers like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 05:31 PM
PSN intsigator

That is a great idea, I like it

Sent from my super awesome outdated Samsung phone while waiting for masakimms# 500mA overdraw draw to catch fire which turd will be blamed for and we will be sitting on dustybumpers tailgate watching the fire and plotting against yommy.

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode