Powerstroke 6.0L Surging and Hesitation only when hot - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Powerstroke 6.0L Surging and Hesitation only when hot

I have a 2003 F350 4x4 Powerstroke 6.0L non PTO that had been sitting for a about 4 months and now when I start it it runs and drives perfectly fine until it reaches operating temp.

Once it reaches operating temp it starts to go very slow and has a hard time making it over 30 mph along with very poor throttle response.
When I try to accelerate lightly or even pushing the pedal to the floor it will start to surge and hesitate real bad.
When letting off the accelerator the blow off valve sounds real loud and almost like something is flapping under the hood on the driver side. But once the rpms come down to an idle it will be fine until trying to accelerate again.

Also after driving the truck and shutting it off after it reaches operating tenp it will not start. It just cranks and cranks but won't start when it's warm, but it starts perfectly fine if I let it sit for an hour after it's cooled off

All the injectors we're resealed about a year ago and one sounds like it's sticking but I'm not sure if this would cause the problem.

I've searched a through most forums but haven't found anything that's similar to the issue my trucks having.

And help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 07:04 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Re: Powerstroke 6.0L Surging and Hesitation only when hot

welcome to the forum! you'll really need some type of monitor to see some engine data, otherwise it's just kinda guessing.

...but we've got guesses too lol! any smoke when it looses power? any boost at all?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 07:06 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

and if it will be a while before you can get a monitor, there's a couple easy/free things... like unplugging the ICP. on the 03 i believe it's down under the turbo, so maybe not that easy lol

another thing to do is pull the egr valve and clean it. though you might need to buy a new gasket and oring kit to get it back in

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 09:30 PM
PSN Veteran

You need to jump straight to doing a air test.
3 options; 1. High pressure oil leak. 2. Bad ipr. 3. Bad hpop.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 02:18 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

"Also after driving the truck and shutting it off after it reaches operating tenp it will not start. It just cranks and cranks but won't start when it's warm, but it starts perfectly fine if I let it sit for an hour after it's cooled off"

I think that's absolutely right, need an air test cause that sounds exactly like typical hpo oring failure...
...and get a monitor! lol

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:24 PM
S&R Powerstroke

Start by figuring out the crank no start issue. Air test hpop system to check for leaks, failing ipr valve, or(in many cases for 2003) failing high pressure oil pump. High pressure oil leaks can cause low power and/or crank no start but ive never ran into issues with hp oil leaks causing fluttering turbo noises. While doing the repairs you might as well peak inside the turbocharger and check for unison ring bind up, crack or sticking vanes.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:22 AM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Yeah, look at pics online of a new unison ring and compare to yours, you might find the cam slot wallered out or something

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 02:11 PM
Kenner, LA

Sounds to me like clogged fuel filters. You mentioned it sat for 4 months. I`m willing to bet your sucking up algea.

2002 F250 7.3/auto
2003 F350 DRW 6.0/auto
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 04:19 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Since the problem isn't there at first startup, and pretty much only when hot, I don't see it being a bad fuel issue - at least not by itself.

Really doesn't matter though ........... the OP clearly isn't looking for advice on the forums. Got good advice within a few hours but hasn't seen fit to respond for 2 weeks.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 04:25 PM
Kenner, LA

Mine did just as described but I was going to say will get worse real quick and it was algae

2002 F250 7.3/auto
2003 F350 DRW 6.0/auto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode