Cracked Fuel Filter Housing - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Cracked Fuel Filter Housing

So in trying to check out my IPR Valve I noticed some air blowing when I turned the key on. It sounded like itís coming from the filter housing. So I got to looking and found a small crack. My question is, will this possibly cause a no start type situation?

Iím sure it got cracked when I had the engine pulled to do the bed plate seals.

Now I canít get the silly thing to start. The ipr is not registering anything on my scan gauge. And Iím getting 0 on the icp. My guess is the ipr is bad since itís not registering any duty cycle. Am I on the right track?

Itís an 07 model btw. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 12:39 AM
"resident smarty pants"

Re: Cracked Fuel Filter Housing

If you have no IPR % duty cycle, then there is an issue preventing the PCM from commanding it.

The IPR % duty cycle value is a commanded value ONLY. It does not represent anything at all with regards to the IPR valve position or actual operation.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 01:24 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage

Well if you got air coming out of the fuel filter there, that would certainly cause a no start.

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins Junkie View Post
Well if you got air coming out of the fuel filter there, that would certainly cause a no start.

Perfect. That was what I wanted to hear. Iím planning on installing a new one if the dealer has it in the morning. I just wanted a confirmation of what I thought. Thank you.

I still donít fully understand the ipr duty cycle issue but Iíll cross that bridge later I guess.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 01:56 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage

Well now, if you are actually pushing air out of there, that means the pump isnt pumping fuel into that bowl. So, if thats the case, you have a deeper issue at hand.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 03:34 AM
"resident smarty pants"

A crack in the fuel filter bowl will not be responsible for no IPR command from the PCM - period.

In fact, you should see fuel leaking out, and if it isn't much fuel then it wouldn't be the cause of the no-start. The PCM has no way of knowing that a crack and a leak exists.

The fuel pump can deliver quite a bit of fuel and a tiny leak at that point wouldn't impact fuel delivery.

As stated above, air coming out at that point is an issue caused by other things wrong.

I think I would be doing a bubble test as soon as possible ....

I would also be looking to see if I had cam/crank sync and FICM sync when cranking. Also look for a fuel pulse width signal and the cranking rpm value.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 08:23 PM
Administrator

i would look long and hard at that "Crack" before replacing the whole unit

it just looks like a gouge in the aluminum

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 09:06 PM
Master BS'er

You the one that pulled the bed plate seals out with the front cover? I remember that, glad you got em resealed.

Why don't you pull the cap and see if there is fuel or not?

Sometimes these engines take forever to start after extensive work and sometimes they start right up. No idea why.

Also, without any ipr command, she ain't gonna start, regardless of fuel.

Just some thoughts.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 12:06 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage

Depends on the work you did bud. Like if you pulled injectors, you gotta pull the oil rails to get to em, which you end up at least partially draining. Pump's gotta build that pressure again, which may take a bit.

Now you got an idea why.

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

The seam on the filter housing was split. I think the chain put that gouge in it and caused the split. I installed a new one and went ahead with the blue spring upgrade too.

Yeah I got everything sealed back up. But I donít have much oil pressure now. Itís only filling the filter housing about Ĺ way when I tested the base oil pressure. And no signal to the gauge. Iíve cranked for days on this thing and itíll sputter and ďrunĒ for maybe a second before dying again.

Iím loosing my religion over this thing not starting. Itís infuriating.

Any ideas where I should go next?

Zmann likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode