6.0 oh no! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

6.0 oh no!

7 months ago I bought a 2003 F250 with the 6.0 powerstroke. Got it dirt cheap because the high pressure oil pump was bad. I went into it knowing this engine has a lot of design flaws. But also knew they could be bullet proofed to be one of the better performing powerstrokes. Some of the bullet proofing had already been done. After replacing the oil pump the truck performed nicely despite a sticky turbo when the engine was cold. So here's my current situation. A few months ago the truck died on me and would not restart. I had it towed home. The next day I drained the fuel/water separator, installed a new air filter and I replaced the EGR valve because it was kicking off and on constantly. It fired right up and thought I had fixed the problem. A month later it did the same thing. Died, crank no start. No check engine light no codes. The last 2 months I've had quite an adventure with this thing. New fuel pump, icp sensor, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, alternator and batteries. Still no start. This morning I tried changing the IPR valve without success. I've got it broke loose but it hits the intake manifold. My intake has a rear cross tube while all the others I've seen in videos don't have a cross tube. Is it possible to get the IPR valve out without having to pull the top end of the engine all apart? I really don't want to have to go through that again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:56 PM
PSN Local

Re: 6.0 oh no!

You definitely need a way to look at your ICP and IPR. That alone will tell you a ton. Scangauge II is a good entry-level way, but there are other ways. Check your fuel pressure too. Fuel pressure should never be a question. If it's in question, it's probably a problem, and it's also probably too late.

2004 F-250 Lariat, 6.0, SCLB, 4wd, Magnaflow turbo-back, EGR delete, studded, 6.4 banjo, new oil cooler and HPOP as of 5-11-2014
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I'm sure it's probably not a fuel problem. Unless the screen is clogged up. My fuel pump came with a new screen but I couldn't figure out where it goes. I even pulled the pickup tube out of the tank and nothing. I couldn't find anywhere online that had info where it went either.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:27 PM
PSN Local

Hopefully it's not fuel pressure. You definitely need to check ICP. No/low ICP will act just like no fuel no muscle to inject fuel.

2004 F-250 Lariat, 6.0, SCLB, 4wd, Magnaflow turbo-back, EGR delete, studded, 6.4 banjo, new oil cooler and HPOP as of 5-11-2014
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I've been looking at the scan gauge ll for awhile. Its definitely on my wish list. A guy I work with has a friend that's going to bring his out to hook up to my truck and hopefully figure out what's going on.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

If it does happen to be the IPR, is it possible to replace it without taking the intake manifold off? My intake has the cross tube on the back. It's not like the other 6.0's I've seen that aren't connected across the back of the intake.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 05:03 PM
PSN Local

You know, I never realized the revised engines didn't have the crossover in the back! I've changed mine without removing anything major. It's been about five years since I did it, but I'm pretty sure I had the degas bottle removed and possibly the FICM too. I highly recommend getting the special socket. $10 on eBay and it makes it much easier. I think the 3/8 in. drive is a better choice. 12-point.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yeah, I got the socket and have it broke loose but I can't even get it backed out off the threads. I wasn't sure if there was a trick I'm missing. Lol. Seems kinda stupid to have to pull the whole top end of the engine apart just to replace the IPR. But I guess I've seen worse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode