Not your typical crank no start - Page 7 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:03 PM
Master BS'er

Re: Not your typical crank no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeJon View Post
Just tried key on and loosened the banjo bolt on the passenger side and fuel sprayed out pretty good. I sprayed silicone spray in the intake while cranking and nothing. Not even a chug like it was trying.

Guys, I'm lost. I think I'm going to have it towed.
I don't blame ya.

PS, silicone spray is probably not going to get it done. Carb clean or brake clean is what I usually use. I've also used ether a bunch of times without issue.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:21 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Certainly lots of people use starting fluid/ether on their diesels, but some have created serious problems.

I won't recommend it on the internet for liability reasons. Some people have even blown the tips off of the glow plugs by using too much.

See post #13 from a well respected Ford Tech.
If not ether , what have you used to start a diesel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

As far as being a control issue .............. a control issue will not leave residual gas pressure on the secondary filter. The hissing and spray seems to indicate gas being present since liquids are non-compressible.

From his posts, he certainly could have a control issue as well.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #63 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:22 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Quote:
Just tried key on and loosened the banjo bolt on the passenger side and fuel sprayed out pretty good. I sprayed silicone spray in the intake while cranking and nothing. Not even a chug like it was trying.

Guys, I'm lost. I think I'm going to have it towed.
You really should do the bubble test before giving up. You don't need to isolate the fuel rails at this point.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax

post #64 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 12:32 AM
Master BS'er

Ether washing the cylinders? What a joke. That must have been a lot of ether. I highly doubt he's ever actually seen that before.

Brother James

post #65 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ok, back with an update.

Bubble test PASS. 0 bubbles noted/found.

I'll check the fuel cutoff switch and FICM fuse/relay next..

Does anyone happen to know the exact sequence of the FICM buzz when you turn the key? I still think I have a fuel control issue.
post #66 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 06:00 PM
Master BS'er

Quote:
Ok, back with an update.

Bubble test PASS. 0 bubbles noted/found.

I'll check the fuel cutoff switch and FICM fuse/relay next..

Does anyone happen to know the exact sequence of the FICM buzz when you turn the key? I still think I have a fuel control issue.
Don't bother with the cut off switch, you already know its getting fuel. And Failed o rings wouldn't cause this.

The sequence is different for different years. I've heard some that just buzz solid, and some that buzz all of them, then buzz each one in sequence of cylinder number, then buzz solid again. But if it doesn't sound right, then it's probably not. How many years have you been listening to it? You would know if it sounded different.

You need to figure out if it's commanding fuel or not. All other tests are pointless or redundant right now. Except a shot of supplemental fuel, that should be done also.

Brother James

post #67 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:26 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
Don't bother with the cut off switch, you already know its getting fuel. And Failed o rings wouldn't cause this.

The sequence is different for different years. I've heard some that just buzz solid, and some that buzz all of them, then buzz each one in sequence of cylinder number, then buzz solid again. But if it doesn't sound right, then it's probably not. How many years have you been listening to it? You would know if it sounded different.

You need to figure out if it's commanding fuel or not. All other tests are pointless or redundant right now. Except a shot of supplemental fuel, that should be done also.

What is causing his hissing and spraying from the secondary filter? That clearly is not typical and is not a fuel command issue (or lack thereof).

Also, if he has FICM sync, it should be commanding fuel shouldn't it? ... especially since he still had these problems with a known good FICM.

I thought that the question was asked previously about any exhaust smoke when cranking, but didn't find it. If there is white and/or whitish-blue exhaust smoke when cranking, then you are getting at least some fuel to the cylinders.

I also wonder if checking another code reader might help. Some are not great at picking up all the codes.

As far as "ether" goes, all I said earlier was to be careful and that I won't say to use it. That being said, supplementary fuel certainly CAN BE helpful in troubleshooting, and brake cleaner or carb cleaner would be better choices.

Mark
post #68 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:56 PM
Master BS'er

I think it probably is a command issue, but we need some data to confirm that, or a labscope. Hissing from the fuel housing? Not really sure, maybe the key was on or something. But we knew it wasn't injector seals because the symptoms didn't match. So I disregarded that.

The ficm runs the fuel injectors. But remember, all sensors go to the pcm. The pcm then tells the ficm when to open injectors and for how long. Basically, there is no need for the ficm other than they must not have wanted to build the boost circuits into the pcm. For whatever reason, they wanted a separate module to control the high voltage circuits. That's changed by the way. Ford now does everything with the pcm like every body else.

Brother James

post #69 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yesterday when I did the bubble test, the secondary filter did not hiss and was not pressurized.

I tried supplemental fuel and nothing. When it's turning over I'm not getting any smoke.

Is there a way to test the PCM?
post #70 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:43 PM
Master BS'er

Quote:
Yesterday when I did the bubble test, the secondary filter did not hiss and was not pressurized.

I tried supplemental fuel and nothing. When it's turning over I'm not getting any smoke.

Is there a way to test the PCM?
You wanna take this one @bismic1?

Brother James

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode