2006 Ford 6.0 No Start - This Lady needs some help! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Red face 2006 Ford 6.0 No Start - This Lady needs some help!

Ok I tried on another thread but got only one response - So let me try again now that I have more info. OK Truck ran fine then 2hours after running it went to start and it would crank but no start. I have SCT X4 Programer that lets me monitor data from truck. Yesterday when this happened my ICP Duty cycle never changed above 15. Injector control pressure read 9.8mPA (note found how to chage this to PSI but when I coverted the reading yesterday to PSA came out to about 1400psi. FICM 48 to 48.5. Injector PW never changes from 0.0 so seems injectors are not being told to fire. When it cranks it never even hints at starting.

So today after checking Fuel Pump is running and checking that is moving fuel to upper fuel filter bowl - currently have no way to check fuel pressure. Decided to check the IPR - found the IPR socket at a local Auto Parts store and proceded to remove have the world to get to the IPR - boy did they tuck that way out of the way - and still with everything removed it was a pain to get at. Anyway IPR looked ok but pulled screen and flushed the IPR with brake cleaner and PB blaster type product. Got some stuff out - not much but some - reinstalled and tried again - this time the ICP Duty cycle moved to between 30 and 40 and improvement but still no start. What am I missing seems all is well but still no sign injectors are firing - Please help this is my only vehicle and I would like to have it running and do not want to donate a small fortune to Ford Mechanics if I do not have too. Help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:09 PM
PSN Local

Re: 2006 Ford 6.0 No Start - This Lady needs some help!

I'm kinda surprised no responses here. I'm far from expert but there are some around.
I know I've seen writeups somewhere for "troubleshooting a no-start condition"...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:15 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

yeah it's tough to diagnose a crank-no start where the ICP and IPR values are good. sometime you've got to either be a FICM/engine computer wiz or have some advanced scanning software available.

one question, do you hear the injectors buzzing waiting on the glow plug light, KOEO?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

my farts are so bad, they have been banned in 37 countries!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 12:11 AM
PSN Local

I'm going to go cam sensor causing no sync or something to do with the circuit.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yes I here the clatter makes me think the FICM is purposely not fire injectors because it does not see all the permissions it needs to feel it is safe. I am not sure what they all are but I think I know some.

IPC >= 500psi
Engine RPM > 100
Cam/Crank in Sync

Any more?

Also the question is how does the data get to FICM - direct wire input or CAN 2 communication?

Current most likely suspects

FICM
PCM
Wiring Harness
Sensors

Now because it does not generate DTC fault - I suspect it may be between PCM and FICM
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 05:53 PM
PSN Local

I don't believe that your starter is spinning the engine fast enough for it to fire off. Try a jump box hooked up and see if it fires off. Could also be the batteries not having enough amperage to light the glow plugs. Start with the little things. Hope this helps. Coming from a Ford diesel tech.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:05 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage

The cam and crank signals go to the pcm which then communicates the positions directly to the ficm. Its a straight connection from pcm to ficm for that circuit. If you have sync but no ficm sync its limited to the pcm, ficm, or the harness. If you have no sync with rpm typically its a cam sensor/circuit problem, if its a no sync with no rpm signal its typically a crank sensor/circuit problem.
On a side note the IPR duty cycle will default to 14% (300 psi) when there is no crank position signal. Fuel pulse width will default to 0 with out crank position signal, rpm below minimum spec(100 rpm), or low icp.
Hope this helps.

2002 F-250 CCSB PSD 4X4, 38R, S&B CAI, Bully Dog GT, 4" Exhaust, 05 head lights and grill, 08 power fold mirrors, tailgate, bumper, tail lights, 2014 chrome steps.
1979 Bronco 4X4, 460, c6, 205
2003 Ranger 2.3 MT 2wd
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Red face Re: 2006 Ford 6.0 No Start - This Lady needs some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codykthekilla View Post
The cam and crank signals go to the pcm which then communicates the positions directly to the ficm. Its a straight connection from pcm to ficm for that circuit. If you have sync but no ficm sync its limited to the pcm, ficm, or the harness. If you have no sync with rpm typically its a cam sensor/circuit problem, if its a no sync with no rpm signal its typically a crank sensor/circuit problem.
On a side note the IPR duty cycle will default to 14% (300 psi) when there is no crank position signal. Fuel pulse width will default to 0 with out crank position signal, rpm below minimum spec(100 rpm), or low icp.
Hope this helps.
Thanks that does help - just need something that will read sync the SCT X4 is nice but too the best of my knowledge it lacks Sync check. I do have a question what is the difference between FICM sync and Just Sync. I assume Sync is from PCM and then it is sent to the FICM where if received becomes FICM sync. Also do not understand why with RPM is CAM and no RPM is Crank. Am I correct to assume if I have no DTC code then Crank and CAM are working since if they where not they would generate a DTC code.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:28 AM
PSN Veteran

Garage

RPMs are read from the crank so no rpms=crank sensor or wiring inop. Some codes require a no start or fault to happen x number of times before codes will set. SYNC is cam and crank sensors synced up and ficm sync is pcm and ficm synced.

2002 F-250 CCSB PSD 4X4, 38R, S&B CAI, Bully Dog GT, 4" Exhaust, 05 head lights and grill, 08 power fold mirrors, tailgate, bumper, tail lights, 2014 chrome steps.
2003 Ranger 2.3 MT 2wd
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:30 AM
PSN Veteran

Garage

Also it is not uncommon to have a bad cam sensor but it would be uncommon to have a bad crank sensor, hardly ever had to replace a crank sensor.

2003 Ranger 2.3 MT 2wd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode