Troubleshooting Hard Start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Troubleshooting Hard Start

Hello PSN!

About a week ago i posted about hard starting on the Looney Tune. I returned to stock and she fired up perfectly.
My mechanic suggested I try out Gearhead's tunes, which i eventually will. Registration is due this month, and its going to be about $400 (CA)... thats my ARP money!

I did speak with Larz from Gearhead, and he was confident their tunes could remedy the long crank/hard start. Vivian says they don't modify startup parameters, but Larz mentioned it sounds like the hard start/long crank is due to the Torque Tables used during startup. He ruled out HPOP since she starts fine warm.

Rene with Quick Tricks asked me to get my FICM, IPR, and ICP values while cranking. He thinks it's a coolant leak and hydrolock that's causing the white smoke and hard starts. The truck runs beautifully and doesn't puke, no coolant loss or sweet smell, no white smoke while running. Everything I've read online says it's raw fuel. I've read a handful of posts with similar issues with both ID and QuickTricks tunes being rich at startup.

Looney Tune loaded, while Cranking:
FICM: 49.0V
ICP: 1500+
IPR: 75% climbs to 85%

it took 2 crankings to get her fired this morning, ambient 52*, ECT/EOT 68*

Yesterday she started first crank, although about 6+ seconds. ECT/EOT was in the mid 70s.

About 700 miles on the oil (T6) and all filters (Racor).

Side note: I've used half a tank in about 100 miles. Could be due to me driving 50/50 Geriatric/Teenager, but it still seems a bit exessive. My first tank on the Looney got me over 300 miles.

Sent from my Nokia 5160 using Snake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 09:13 PM
PSN Newb

Re: Troubleshooting Hard Start

if there's no coolant loss its over-fuelling, confirmed by your 5mpg. I couldn't get that low on the road if I tried
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 09:37 PM
'04psthrottlejockey

It sure does sound like too much fuel. When my FICM went out it acted the same way but I didn't know about checking the voltages then. Keep a close eye on the voltages while driving in case there's sporadic drops during normal operation.

'04 F250 6.0 RCD EGR delete, diamond eye 4"turbo back, AFE stage 2 cold air intake, Livewire TS, Warren Diesel Injection 190cc stock nozzle injectors with upgraded solenoids, FASS Titanium series fuel pump. 4" procomp suspension lift with extra overloads on rear.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

FICM is less than 2 years old, about 10k on it, and voltage is 48.5-49 driving, and a beefy 49v cranking.

I'm at about 140 miles and still above 1/2 tank, so I'm guestimating 11-13mpg, not far from normal. my truck can "gain" almost 1/4 tank if i park it nose-up, and "lose" as much nose-down.

to add insult to injury my brand new x4 has a weird glitch in it while selecting PIDs. nothing major but definitely a nuisance with everything else
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 04:26 AM
PSN Local

It is the tune. dont run it any more!

icp at 1500 psi and no start. I dont think so. they have changed the icp reading tables. that is the only thing that makes any sense to me. something isnt right with the tune.

Can you put in a stock tune and post the results, please.

03 Excursion, Banks turbo back, K&N intake, SCT sf2, Scangauge 2, 285/70R17 on Eagle alloys, purchased June '10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs97z28 View Post
It is the tune. dont run it any more!

icp at 1500 psi and no start. I dont think so. they have changed the icp reading tables. that is the only thing that makes any sense to me. something isnt right with the tune.

Can you put in a stock tune and post the results, please.
thanks for the input. I'll be out of town all week, will load up the stock tune on Friday and get some cranking parameters, though stock it starts pretty quickly.

Though by then, I am hoping to have the whole thing resolved with Quick Tricks, and possibly try out some Gearhead tunes.

I really need a reliable starting truck. And cold start issues.... in San Diego?
coldest it gets is mid-high 40s in the winter, which we haven't had in a couple years lol. I know Quick Tricks is very reputable, so I'm hoping this can all be tweaked and resolved.

Is the tune damaging anything?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by '04psthrottlejockey View Post
It sure does sound like too much fuel. When my FICM went out it acted the same way but I didn't know about checking the voltages then. Keep a close eye on the voltages while driving in case there's sporadic drops during normal operation.
did you used to have a lightning? or still have one?

I remember a guy on LR named ThrottleJockey.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 07:06 AM
PSN Veteran

tune shouldn't be damaging anything. if it starts fine stock its the tune. my buddies 6oh barely starts cold with quick tricks.. but everything else is fine. there are a couple odd trucks that have issues with their tunes. mine never have though

Admin of BCCR

2007 f-350 CC/SB Lariat --SOLD--

2006 F-350 CC/SB Harley Davidson

- 205/100s
- Custom twin superduty pump fuel system W/ RR
- BW S366
- 4" exhaust to dual 5" tips
- air raid CAI
- 80k miles
- levelled, 35s
- Bulletproofed
- Gearhead tuning
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Do you guys see anything wrong with the IPR maxing out?

Rene w/ Quick Tricks suspects HPO or LPO issues, but I thought that would point towards sub-500 psi ICP?

Also wouldn't that give me warm start issues?
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 07:15 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Do you guys see anything wrong with the IPR maxing out?

Rene w/ Quick Tricks suspects HPO or LPO issues, but I thought that would point towards sub-500 psi ICP?

Also wouldn't that give me warm start issues?
That is why ask for stock tune readings. Also, if you had a leak you would.startING issues all.the time. It would.be harder to start when hot. The thing to do is STOP using the tune. Once you know there is nothing wrong with the truck on stock you can figure out what is wrong with that tune.

03 Excursion, Banks turbo back, K&N intake, SCT sf2, Scangauge 2, 285/70R17 on Eagle alloys, purchased June '10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode