Bad EGR cooler or Head Gasket? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Bad EGR cooler or Head Gasket?

I have an 07 6.0 F-250 with about 130,000 miles on it. I have been having a lot of EGR valve problems over the last 6 months. I have been getting more black smoke out of the exhaust when I start up and have had to clean the EGR valve frequently to clear the problem. Last weekend I flushed the coolant system and replaced the coolant. This week I have been smelling coolant after the system warms up. The degas bottle is not overfilled, between max and min lines on the bottle, and I don't see any evidence of leakage. Coming home after dark the other night I noticed a lot of smoke? steam? if there were lights behind me and if the breeze was right I smell coolant. I only see a little white steam in the morning if it is light out. That tends to go away after the engine warms up.

In trying to determine if the problem is the EGR cooler or a bigger problem with the head gaskets I tried BPDs bubble test, but no bubbles at all. I tried with the engine just warm and when it was hot, and at various rpms but no bubbles at all.

Oh, yeah i pulled the EGR valve and this time it was kind of sticky and gooey instead of the harder dry coke that usually forms.

So here is what I am thinking, but wanted to get some other opinions from the rest of you. I am probably seeing the early stages of an EGR cooler failure. So time to replace the oil cooler and EGR cooler. I know it would be best to just do an EGR delete but I live in an air compliance area and have to have it in so I just need to deal with it.

I am still worried about the head gaskets considering the mileage and the fact that it still have the factory head bolts in it. Do you think it is worthwhile upgrading the head bolts with ARP bolts at this point or is that ill advised?

Let me know what you guys all think. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 03:31 AM
PSN Veteran

Garage
Re: Bad EGR cooler or Head Gasket?

Definitely points to the EGR cooler. Since you can't delete it, make sure you go with a good quality replacement, not just OEM. I don't know the brands off the top of my head, but there are some which have large coolant passages, similar to the '03 version, but are beefier. And if you're in doubt about if it's the culprit, you could park nose-down overnight and then pull the EGR valve before you start it. You should see some liquid in there if it's bad....though if it's in the really early stages it may not leak enough to form a puddle.

For someone who has done all of this in stages, let me say that if you can afford to do everything at once, DO IT ALL AT ONCE!! lol Had I just sucked it up and spent an extra 800-900 I could have been done, but I opted to take the chance that I wouldn't need head gaskets for a while.....five months later I'm pulling the motor back apart to do them. If you can't afford to do it all at once, then do what you can, while you can, but know that you'll have more work in the long run.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 03:39 AM
"Slap hands slap hands"

I agree with Above statement. Where are you located? We have emissions here as well and I run a EGR delete with SCT tuner and have never had a issue passing emissions. I would go that route if I was you EGR does nothing but cause problems with these trucks!

JB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 03:57 AM
PSN Local

powerstrokehelp.com shows a whole video on the test for head gasket or egr on the 6.0. my bet its the egr but doing the test will tell you how both are doin. egr is usually white smoke.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered a BulletProof Diesel, ERG cooler and oil cooler kit. Probalby wait on the headbolts and gaskets, probably not something I can tackle myself w/o pulling the cab or engine.

I am in Fort Collins, CO. they are pretty nazi on emision controls here. The first thing they look for is any deleted equipment. Fines start at $750 so not worth the risk. I'll just live with the better EGR cooler.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 07:59 PM
"Slap hands slap hands"

Good luck and that sucks. Just buy a cheap piece of land out in Windsor or Wellington or something and list it as a farm truck . Just messing with you that's where my family lives. Hope the new purchase solves your problem.

JB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ok, figuered I would give you all an update. I replaced the egr and oil coolers. After driving around for a month I pulled the egr valve just to see. No more sticky gunk. Also no more coolant smell. So I guess it was the cooler. I put in the bpd cooler and oem oil cooler. The install was actually pretty simple it just took a lot of time. About a week of evenings and a couple weekend days. I am pretty anal about making sure it is all good and replaced a bunch of other stuff while it was torn down.

Checked ect and eot using my new cts2 and temps are within 5 to 8 deg most of the time. Still got some larger spread, 10 to 12 deg, when I pulled the boat up the mountain (from 5000 ft to 6000 ft elevation) to the lake on a 95 deg day but can't complain about that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode