Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Turbo internal oil leak?

868 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Michipicoten_SuperDuty 
#1 ·
Forgot to ask this earlier....

Reconditioned my turbo late last year and I didn't have any free play on the bearings, no noise, etc etc so I opted not to do a full rebuild. At the same time, I put in a CCV relocation setup with a catch can. I just had to pull the motor apart and I've got about the same amount of oil in the CAC tubes as I had before. Checked the CCV and I have very little oil in there. So, this tells me I've got a turbo seal issue. Do you agree? If I do have one, what kit do I need? Never looked that up before, so not sure where to start.

#2 ·
What year turbo? Mine leaked internally, but it leaked to the turbine side. I think this is the common failure. I'm not sure how likely it's leaking into the compressor side, but I'm sure it's possible.

#6 ·
Pulled, drained, then washed with simple green for the CAC. That sucker was squeaky clean! lol This is oil straight out of the turbo. Pooling up in front of it and, of course, at the bottom of the CAC tubes. Couple of ounces at least I would guess.

#7 ·
If it is leaking, the turbo rebuild kit you'll need is 740659-0010 (Garrett part number). I wouldn't classify it as a hard task, but it does require much attention to detail, following instructions, and being clean. Always keep in mind how fast the turbo spins. Little errors may/will turn into a catastrophic failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.