Oil in head bolt holes - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage
Oil in head bolt holes

I know about the importance of making sure there is no oil in the bolt holes when putting studs in. When I did it before there was zero oil in any of them. I just took one of my heads off (number two tomorrow hopefully) and three of the studs came out soaked in oil. Looking at things, I can't figure out where the oil would be coming from. Could it really be making its way past the washer and nut from way up top or is there something else I'm missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 10:39 PM
<---Peggy Sue

Re: Oil in head bolt holes

Yes it could or could have gotten oil on it upon removal. The reason you don't want oil in the holes on installation is because when you go to torque them you will get a false torque due to oil is not compressible and acts like the bolt is bottomed out but it really is not. Then when the oil finally works it's way out of the bolt hole you have a loose bolt/stud etc.

e99 f350cclb lariat 4x4 zf6 ranchhands
leveled
4" dp 5" straight pipe
ccv mod
cai
Rosewood 180/100 single shots
Terminator t500 hpop
Garrett 38r with all the late 99 goodies
Currently

79 bronco 400m c6 8" lift 5.13s welded rear Detroit locker up front 38.5" tsls for the trail 35" bogger/buckshots for the mud bogs
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:14 AM
Professional American, guarding our constitution. Gone, but not forgotten.

I'd guess removal. Compound that hunch if you used any kind of penetrating oil. Does it look like dirty engine oil or more clean like PB or WD? Also, is it thick and gooey or real light? Engine oil caught in a tight spot like a head channel won't be moving around much, instead sitting there cooking over and over so it's gonna be thick and tarry. An unscientific way to further investigate this is to roll the threads of the stud/bolt against the pads of your fingers and see what stays behind.

Absolute worst case and pretty unlikely (but those are the ones that end up being reality) is that on your first reassembly you overtorqued things and cracked the head on those specific fasteners... But hopefully not

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

Didn't use any break-free or anything like that. Just muscled em off....which, btw, was almost as hard as putting em on! lol Anyway, didn't over-torque em. Used a calibrated torque wrench. Did it in three stages up to 210 ft-lbs per the instructions. The oil does look old and nasty. Much different in color than the rest of the oil, so it must have just gotten in there gradually somehow. Not unheard of, but still odd.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

Well, I think I just figured it out. I was looking at the old head gaskets and the oil return holes are in the same "sealed in" area as the bolt holes. Makes sense that if the head gasket isn't sealing 100% (which mine weren't) that oil could easily migrate its way to the bolt holes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode