Machining for studs? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage
Machining for studs?

Just a quick question. While talking to the machine shop today, he told me since I am studding the truck (already did but now have to get gaskets re-done) he will machine the head for the 18mm dowel to go deeper. I have never heard of this before. I chose this machine shop because I couldn't find one locally that would do a diesel. This shop does about 8 sets of 6.0 head a week and builds full motors, so I would think he has some knowledge. Anyway, he said he found that the dowels are actually a hair too long when using studs, which doesn't allow even clamping force. He showed me by putting a head on a block without the gasket and measuring the distance, then comparing it to the head gasket thickness. I wouldn't have thought this could be an issue, but it did appear so. NO extra charge for it so I don't think he's just trying to convince me for a profit reason.

Anyone ever seen something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:15 PM
PSN Local

Re: Machining for studs?

I've never seen this or heard of it but if the dowels are too long for the head to bolt down good then it makes sense. Is he wanting to machine the head or the dowels?

2003 F250 lariat, 6.0, CC/SB, FX4, RANCHHAND Legend series bumper, blue spring, straight pipe with cat delete, 285 BFG A/Ts, B&W gooseneck, and a lot of stock parts for now
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 12:40 AM
Administrator

lol

jig up a head or buzz the dowel but regardless i have never heard of this one
it would take ten seconds to verify

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

I thought about it for a while and I think he meant after machining for flatness. This would make sense if you had to take a decent amount off the head and the dowel wasn't seated all the way down, etc. Either way, I'll be measuring my dowel and the recess in the head to see what I've got. Just thought I would bring it up.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 01:59 AM
Administrator

thanks !

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenmc08 View Post
Is he wanting to machine the head or the dowels?
Forgot to address this. He puts the machining on the head since you never know if a dowel will be replaced in the future.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 02:51 AM
Jackleg Mechanic

That's an interesting aspect of milling 6.0 heads since Ford says that they are not to be machined. I just had mine done and the machinist didn't mention it. This particular shop came highly recommended by several people in my area that have a lot of stuff machined and I trust their judgment. It's definitely something to be looked at! Now I'm wondering if all the work I just did studding my truck will be in vain.

Jeff
06 F350 6.0L CCLB AMARILLO 4X4
- SCT Livewire, Quick Tricks Looney tune, XDP Coolant filter, Blue Spring Mod, High Flow Banjo bolts, Warren's 175/30 injectors with upgraded spools, ARP Studs, PowerMax Stag One Turbo, Bilstien 5100's. Banks 4in turbo back Monster exhaust. All necessary internal bulletproofing. High Idle mod
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

It may just be something they ran across a couple times and now he does it as a matter of habit....just in case. Who knows?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode