03 6.0 engine harness removal/ icp rewiring - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

03 6.0 engine harness removal/ icp rewiring

Alright guys I sure could use some help here. I have an 03 6.0 and have been having ICP sensor problems. When I bought the truck last year it needed an ICP sensor so I bought a cheap one off eBay for a temporary fix and also got a new harness. When I cut the pigtail off I found that no matter how far back that I cut I still found oil in the wires!!!! It's still been giving me problems so i bought a ford sensor and replaced the cheap one and its still acting up so I'm to the point of pulling the harness to rewire the whole ICP circuit since its been rewired from the oil filter area back already. How hard is it to pull the main harness and do any of yall have any tips? Also what gauge wire would you use? Would using a different gauge wire or having solder joints affect the resistance/ or change the signal from the sensor and mess up the readings? Thanks in advance to anyone that can give some advice on this. It's driving me crazy with the erratic idle and almost jumping so hard that i hit another car!!!

2003 F250 lariat, 6.0, CC/SB, FX4, RANCHHAND Legend series bumper, blue spring, straight pipe with cat delete, 285 BFG A/Ts, B&W gooseneck, and a lot of stock parts for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: 03 6.0 engine harness removal/ icp rewiring

Bump

2003 F250 lariat, 6.0, CC/SB, FX4, RANCHHAND Legend series bumper, blue spring, straight pipe with cat delete, 285 BFG A/Ts, B&W gooseneck, and a lot of stock parts for now
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 02:41 PM
Jackleg Mechanic

Just to stir the pot, how did you reach the conclusion that the problem is with the sensor and not some other element of the HPO system?

Jeff
06 F350 6.0L CCLB AMARILLO 4X4
- SCT Livewire, Quick Tricks Looney tune, XDP Coolant filter, Blue Spring Mod, High Flow Banjo bolts, Warren's 175/30 injectors with upgraded spools, ARP Studs, PowerMax Stag One Turbo, Bilstien 5100's. Banks 4in turbo back Monster exhaust. All necessary internal bulletproofing. High Idle mod

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

When it started acting up again I unplugged the connector from the ICP sensor and run it like that for a couple weeks and it never missed a beat and as soon as I plugged it back up it went right back to the erratic idle and surging. And by the way I love that Amarillo! That's one beautiful truck!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:29 PM
Jackleg Mechanic

Pulling the harness is not "hard" but I'd suggest you take pictures of it's routing so you have a reference for installing it back. Whatever gauge wire that is there now is what I'd go back with. The rewire job may actually be your problem if it's not soldered well.

Thanks for the compliment, she's been a great truck so far.

Jeff
06 F350 6.0L CCLB AMARILLO 4X4
- SCT Livewire, Quick Tricks Looney tune, XDP Coolant filter, Blue Spring Mod, High Flow Banjo bolts, Warren's 175/30 injectors with upgraded spools, ARP Studs, PowerMax Stag One Turbo, Bilstien 5100's. Banks 4in turbo back Monster exhaust. All necessary internal bulletproofing. High Idle mod
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I tried just the heat shrink but connectors first and I decided to go back and solder it to make sure I had a good connection. I'm just in shock that the HPOP pushed oil through the wires at least 2 feet back. It must have been pumping it in the connector for a long time.

If I'm not mistaken an Amarillo dually is a pretty uncommon truck? I know I've only seen SRW ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode