6.0 Leaking Like A Tractor... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

6.0 Leaking Like A Tractor...

Hey all,

I've got a leak. Doesn't seem to be just any leak this time. She's shedding a lot of weight in oil. The whole valley is wet with oil from the oil cooler to the HPOP cover. I had the HPOP replaced about two years ago and the dealership did some half-ass work (as always). There is a bracket or mounting plate of some sort between the HPOP cover and the oil cooler assembly that appears to bolt directly to the top of the block. It is directly below the turbo pedestal. In any case, it is missing at least one bolt and another other is not threaded in. Thanks Ford dealership. I already know I'm going to have to yank the intake and turbo to get this thing tightened back down.

Question 1: What the hell is this plate (see video 2) and could it not being snugged-down be causing an oil leak?

Question 2: Aside from a faulty HPOP cover gasket, what else on top of the engine could be leaking oil this badly?

The oil filter cap is clean, no leaks. There is a bit of oil around the CAC tube boot, but it doesn't appear to be enough to be causing such a huge mess.

The oil leak, in true 6.0 fashion runs all the way down the back of the engine, around both sides of the bell housing (moreso on the passenger side) and has destroyed both my driveway and the entire underside of the vehicle all the way back to the rear diff.

Question 3: How much oil loss are we talking without the CCV reroute?

Question 4: How about turbo supply and return lines?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm tired of being screwed by dealerships and would prefer not to take it in.

Video 1: Under Vehicle

Video 2: Under Hood

2004 F350 XLT CCLB 4X4, Sinister EGR Delete, ARP Head Studs, Sinister Bypass Coolant Filter, Cat EC-1, SCT XCAL III Tuner w/ Gearhead 8K Tow Tune, MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exh, Bilstein HD Shocks & Steering Stabilizer, XD Series Crank Wheels, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s, Glowshift 4 Gauge Pod w/ Boost, Trans Temp, Fuel Press, EGT, 135k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 03:40 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 6.0 Leaking Like A Tractor...

Those are your turbo pedistal bolts, all 4 of mine were missing with no oil leaks. I would pull the turbo and check/replace your turbo drain tube o rings. Might upgrade to the better lines if you havent had them yet $100.

06 f250 personal, 05 bmw x5 wife, 14 f350 srw work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
it's a 6.0 nervous goes with it
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 02:25 AM
PSN Veteran

if it was your turbo feed it would be spraying, looks like its your turbo drain thats leaking, there are updated lines and orings as said above. you would get an oil leak from those pedestal bolts going missing. can you see your IPR valve ? how does it look, oily? or no. ( right side of turbo on top of HPOP )

Admin of BCCR

2007 f-350 CC/SB Lariat --SOLD--

2006 F-350 CC/SB Harley Davidson

- 205/100s
- Custom twin superduty pump fuel system W/ RR
- BW S366
- 4" exhaust to dual 5" tips
- air raid CAI
- 80k miles
- levelled, 35s
- Bulletproofed
- Gearhead tuning

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

This is why I love PSN. I will check the IPR tomorrow in daylight and post reply. Looks like I'll be double checking the drain tube to see if she's the new or old style and ordering some pedestal bolts . Thanks for the tips. Anything else I should be upgrading or replacing since I'll have the top off?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 04:51 AM
Jackleg Mechanic

I think vonny meant you wouldn't get a leak from those pedestal bolts missing, because you wouldn't .

How much money do you have to spend? there are a lot of things to upgrade while you have the top off.

Jeff
06 F350 6.0L CCLB AMARILLO 4X4
- SCT Livewire, Quick Tricks Looney tune, XDP Coolant filter, Blue Spring Mod, High Flow Banjo bolts, Warren's 175/30 injectors with upgraded spools, ARP Studs, PowerMax Stag One Turbo, Bilstien 5100's. Banks 4in turbo back Monster exhaust. All necessary internal bulletproofing. High Idle mod
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 08:14 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrkee View Post
I think vonny meant you wouldn't get a leak from those pedestal bolts missing, because you wouldn't .
yep, i meant to say wouldnt. ill edit that .

Admin of BCCR

2007 f-350 CC/SB Lariat --SOLD--

2006 F-350 CC/SB Harley Davidson

- 205/100s
- Custom twin superduty pump fuel system W/ RR
- BW S366
- 4" exhaust to dual 5" tips
- air raid CAI
- 80k miles
- levelled, 35s
- Bulletproofed
- Gearhead tuning
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

As for upgrades, I'm open to all suggestions. I won't be decapitating the heads again, but just about anything above that is fair game. ICP sensor is on the list as well as upgraded turbo drain and o-rings. Give me a list of parts to stockpile before I crack her open. As long as I don't have to yank the cab off, I'm good.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Update: I cannot see the IPR valve. It's buried too deep beneath the turbo. However, it appears that a majority of the leak is on top of the oil cooler. The oil temp sender (passenger side of the filter housing) is dry. The pressure sender (aft of the housing) is wet, but so is the rest of the top of the cooler assy. Turbo supply line is completely dry from top to bottom. Return line is a tiny bit oily at the top, which is the only part I can actually see.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:19 AM
Jackleg Mechanic

Your oil cooler is located directly under the oil filter housing and there are several gaskets there that could be leaking and showing up in the valley. It may be as simple as torqueing the oil cooler housing down to stop your leak. You'll probably have to pull the intake manifold off to get to all of the bolts under it but I'm not absolutely positive. A valve cover leak is possible so I'd torque all those bolts too while I was at it.

Jeff
06 F350 6.0L CCLB AMARILLO 4X4
- SCT Livewire, Quick Tricks Looney tune, XDP Coolant filter, Blue Spring Mod, High Flow Banjo bolts, Warren's 175/30 injectors with upgraded spools, ARP Studs, PowerMax Stag One Turbo, Bilstien 5100's. Banks 4in turbo back Monster exhaust. All necessary internal bulletproofing. High Idle mod
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I really have to wonder if Ford techs do anything properly, I.e. torquing anything to spec.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode