Shorter accessory belt? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage
Shorter accessory belt?

Installed an upgraded alternator. They recommended installing a 1" shorter belt to compensate for the smaller pulley. I've been looking, but I can't find anything. My belt just shredded today so I need to change it and soon, but the next size down I can find, or the parts folks, is a full three inches shorter. I don't think that will work. Anyone know any sources?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Re: Shorter accessory belt?

thats silly who's alternator ??

you can space the alt up to take up slack if need be

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

Made by Mechman. They use a smaller pulley to improve idle performance. I looked at just about every HO alternator maker out there and they all do that, with a few exceptions. No worries now though. I just released tension and folded the belt over to measure....I've actually got four inches of excess, so a 3" shorter belt should do me just fine.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 02:59 AM
Administrator

there is no way the smaller pulley gave you the need for a 3" shorter belt

many of us use smaller Alt pulleys with no mods mine has 3/8 spacers to put the belt tensioner back where it would ride normally but i could remove them and be fine

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

Hmmmm.....maybe the previous owner installed a longer than stock belt. Thinking I'll take it off tomorrow, cut it (it's trashed anyway) and measure to see what I've got now. Could be that it's got a 128" or something like that on there!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 03:08 PM
Administrator

that might explain it but i would be surprised if it would have worked being that much longer

grab the part # ? i think i have an OEM belt i could measure

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

Pulled it today and measured it. No part numbers anywhere on it...rubbed off I guess. Cut then measured it. Comes out to 125 inches. Stock is 125 or so inches (125.3 or 125.7 are the two depending on who makes it) I definitely have three extra inches to play with with the new alternator installed so I'm going with a 122.3 (next closest size).
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 01:08 AM
Administrator

something is wrong i wonder if any other pulleys were changed or if the routing is off ?

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

I'll double check the routing to be sure, but it didn't look like it was routed incorrectly. As for different sized pulleys, don't know.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 04:09 AM
Administrator

not sure it is even possible to route it incorrectly but here is a pic

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode