surge bottle overflow - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

surge bottle overflow

im not sure if this has been wrote up or not but here it goes, I got an '05 6.0 in june of 2013. the truck has had head studs, egr delete, Bullet Proof oil cooler installed by the previous owner, I just installed an Edge EVO CTS. Has 6" of lift with 35's. I noticed even befor I put the Edge in that when I would get on it then let up quickly on the pedal the waste gate would do its thing and I am getting coolant out the cap. I replaced the cap and it is still doing the same thing. im new to the 6.0, had 2 7.3 in the past. I was assuming that with the work done to the motor that It should be good to go. truck has 155,000 miles. what am I missing???

2005 Crew cab short box, FX4 OFFROAD, 6" LIft, 35" BFG AT, AFE stage 2, Bullit Proof Diesel oil cooling and filtration, Head studs, EGR Del, Magna flow exhaust, Edge EVO CTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 09:30 PM
<---Peggy Sue

Re: surge bottle overflow

6.0 turbos do not have a wastegate, they are variable geometry turbos. I would say you should pressure test the cap and make sure it is not venting to early then see how much pressure you are building in the cooling system.

e99 f350cclb lariat 4x4 zf6 ranchhands
leveled
4" dp 5" straight pipe
ccv mod
cai
Rosewood 180/100 single shots
Terminator t500 hpop
Garrett 38r with all the late 99 goodies
Currently

79 bronco 400m c6 8" lift 5.13s welded rear Detroit locker up front 38.5" tsls for the trail 35" bogger/buckshots for the mud bogs
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 10:33 PM
PSN Local

A: it shouldn't "vent" at all. Once it pukes the cap is toast--buy a new one
B: make sure it is not overfilled
C: unless you did the work yourself or know who did the work and what parts were used you really don't know what you have.

What is your ECT/EOT numbers? is your EGR value still plugged in? Need to determine if it's just plain ole overheating (bad water pump) or puking due to HG issue.

2006 F350 4X4 CAB CHASSIS w/ Truck Bed
Blue Spring, Mishimoto tstat

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 10:58 PM
<---Peggy Sue

Aren't the caps made to "vent" at 15-16 psi?

leveled
4" dp 5" straight pipe
ccv mod
cai
Terminator t500 hpop
Currently

79 bronco 400m c6 8" lift 5.13s welded rear Detroit locker up front 38.5" tsls for the trail 35" bogger/buckshots for the mud bogs
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 12:25 AM
PSN Veteran

Someone botched the head job. Unfortunately it looks like you'll have to do it again (providing coolant level is not above max fill line cold). And like mentioned before there are no wastegate on these turbos. They are VGT controlled.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 03:57 AM
I Just Break Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose7.3IH View Post
Aren't the caps made to "vent" at 15-16 psi?
Yes. It has a spring in it. It's not a one time puke and it's done cap. It's made to do that.

OP.... like was said earlier.... sounds like HGs to me. Do you have emulsified oil in your degas bottle? ( surge bottle)
Any signs of darkening from soot????

06 f250 cc Lariat
4 inch Turbo Back
EGR Delete by FCDP
SCT w/Gearhead tunes
Lowered 3 Inches
ARPs
Barder stage 3
Warren Diesel 190/100s
Fluidampr
No Limit intake
Full billet Tranny
6.4 Banjos
AD II
CTS Monitor
GS Elite Gauges
Zex Nitrous
IPR Oil Cooler Relocation kit
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 12:48 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Ford states that you should buy a new cap if it pukes because the relief mechanism weakens. That said, it is not always something that HAS to be done.

Definitely would be good to check into the coolant temps and post them (and even the oil temps although a BPD oil cooler separates that from the coolant flow).

First thing that comes to mind is Black Onyx head gaskets .....................

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 12:55 PM
<---Peggy Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic1 View Post
Ford states that you should buy a new cap if it pukes because the relief mechanism weakens. That said, it is not always something that HAS to be done.

First thing that comes to mind is Black Onyx head gaskets .....................
I just wanted to make sure that he did not have a defective cap before he has to start worrying but it does sound like it may be a botched head gasket job.

leveled
4" dp 5" straight pipe
ccv mod
cai
Terminator t500 hpop
Currently

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 12:59 PM
"resident smarty pants"

caps are cheap, so it is a good thing to verify for sure. I have a pressure sensor on the degas bottle all the time. It is a handy thing to have. I just identified a weak cap on my truck last week based on having the pressure reading.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 03:21 PM
PSN Local

Replace the cap with a new one. Install a 0-30 psi gauge connected to the degas bottle and placed in the cab so you can monitor it (you'll need a length of 3/8 in. hose for this). Warm it up with normal driving, then push it hard and see what it tells you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhyder408 View Post
when I would get on it then let up quickly on the pedal the waste gate would do its thing
As mentioned before, no waste gate. That noise it makes is compressor surge ("turbo flutter" or "turbo fart"). While these turbos don't do it violently, it's still bad for the turbo. Try and avoid.

2004 F-250 Lariat, 6.0, SCLB, 4wd, Magnaflow turbo-back, EGR delete, studded, 6.4 banjo, new oil cooler and HPOP as of 5-11-2014
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode