05 acting kinda weird - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

05 acting kinda weird

Let me start this off by apologizing for length of this story. My truck isn't having problems, drives just fine, but has some weird things happening that I can't determine if they are a problem or not. Any help is appreciated!

It started last weekend when I took a last minute trip to MOAB. I live in Denver CO so we had about a 6 hour drive. Checked all my fluids, fueled up, and took off.

Had absolutely ZERO issues on the way there. My truck did great for our first road trip together and I was stoked. (Broke 120k while driving there)

But then the way home was different. Made it all the to vail with no issues, but then I noticed my truck was having a hard time with climbing the hills. Checked all my gauges, everything was good, so I didn't think twice.
Then when I punched the gas I started hearing a sound of air coming from the hood, hard to explain but it sounded like it was pulling air harder than it should be.
Then randomly my dash gave me a warning to "check engine temp" but my gauge was still reading normal. So I hit the reset button to see what would happen, then all of the sudden my gauge flew up to the hot side.
I immediately took the next exit to park the truck and check it out. Turns out I was low on coolant, so I grabbed a couple cold water bottles and filled it up.

I was able to make it home without any of this happening again. It was a one time thing.

However ever since then my batteryihjt on the dash has been trying to flicker at me, like it has a bad connection. So I had both batteries and alternator checked, everything passed.
Then one day my radio and dash lost power on me 3 separate times, but truck still ran.
So I went to have my alternator checked again, and it still passed. I cleaned up all the battery connections and so far I haven't had that problem again.

However yesterday as I pulled into a parking lot I heard my truck kinda making a lope sound. I don't have a lope tune so I was concerned. Got out and sat by my tailpipe for a bit. Every so often it was have a miss. Not a hard miss, just barely enough for me to notice.

Which brings me here. Can anybody tell me if all of the issues are connected? I can't tell if these are little issues I can take care of one at a time, or if my truck is about to fall apart.
ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 03:35 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 05 acting kinda weird

It's sounds like you are describing early sign of hg failure. I'll bet that strange air noise was air being released from degas bottle from excessive coolant pressure otherwise known as the 'tea kettle whistle'. Are you studded or deleted?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I was afraid of that...I got nothing. I been putting everything off cause I wasn't worried and I have to deal with emissions so I'm trying to find a way past that.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:48 PM
PSN Veteran

put a BPD EGR cooler in with head studs and you should never have any puking again (providing the work was done properly). These HG problems will always show themselves first when the engine is working hardest (up a grade, with or without trailer etc). If you're deltas are fairly high (more than 10-12* IMO) change the oil cooler, flush the coolant, add ELC coolant with a coolant filtration system and you are basically bulletproofed.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

What do you mean by "puking "? My truck hasn't had any white smoke or any snell of leaking coolant, that part of the reason why I wasn't sure what was going on. But do the hg problems have any connections with the battery problems? Last night when I got home I noticed my dome lights were fading in and out with my dash lights, which was bogging the engine down to the same pace. Seems like something is drawing power somehwere, any ideas?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:44 PM
PSN Local

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97blackbetty View Post
What do you mean by "puking "?
Nothing is coming out of the degas bottle?

05 F350 cclb dually, egr delete, blue spring upgrade, coolant filter, cat and muffler delete, scanguage II
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 12:27 AM
PSN Veteran

Puking, as in coolant coming out of degas bottle. You didnt mention you had that, but you definitely described the tea kettle whistle of excess pressure bleeding out of degas cap.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode