Help - installed 4" straight pipe turbo back exhaust and lost power big time??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Help - installed 4" straight pipe turbo back exhaust and lost power big time???

03' Excursion 6.0. Limited upgrades. Blue spring regulator kit, coolant filter kit, SCT Livewire TS running Looney tune from Vivian. Recently replaced fan clutch and water pump and added SCT and custom tunes. This motor was replaced by Ford dealer in 09' and has about 65,000 miles on it. Runs really strong.

Removed factory exhaust system today and replaced with Diamond Eye 3.5" down pipe, 4" turbo back exhaust kit. No kitty, no muffler. When I test drove it it started off running great but as it warmed up and I was getting ready to feel it out the power faded. It just does not respond much at all past about 25% throttle. It's a sickening feeling.

Any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:11 AM
whistle tits

Re: Help - installed 4" straight pipe turbo back exhaust and lost power big time???

I'd check the map sensor hose for rips/tears, and vgt solenoid harness.

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Help - installed 4" straight pipe turbo back exhaust and lost power big time???

Good ideas. It hope it is some harness or hose I damaged or dislodged replacing exhaust. I will check it out more this afternoon.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

VGT harness looks good. MAP sensor hose looks good. No DTC's according to SCT tuner.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 03:13 AM
Jackleg Mechanic

Did you have the up pipes disconnected?

Jeff
06 F350 6.0L CCLB AMARILLO 4X4
- SCT Livewire, Quick Tricks Looney tune, XDP Coolant filter, Blue Spring Mod, High Flow Banjo bolts, Warren's 175/30 injectors with upgraded spools, ARP Studs, PowerMax Stag One Turbo, Bilstien 5100's. Banks 4in turbo back Monster exhaust. All necessary internal bulletproofing. High Idle mod
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 03:54 AM
PSN Newb

I'd make sure that you don't have an exhaust leak. If you pulled your ypipe I'd look there first. Just cause it went back on dont mean it sealed up right.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Did not remove or loosen up pipes or Y-pipe. Only disconnected down pipe and replaced it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:02 PM
PSN Newb

One thing I noticed when I was trying to find out why my truck was running funny was on the down pipe. When I disconnected the band that holds it on there was a quarter inch gap on the bottom of it. I'd make sure it's in there good. Could have shifted on you while you were trying to get that band back on there. If so you've got a good size exhaust leak right there and that could be your problem.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Shouldn't you be able to hear a leak like that?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 07:55 PM
'04psthrottlejockey

If you're not getting ecsessive smoke it shouldn't be an exhaust leak prior to the turbo. That would just show a lack of boost due to the lack in flow through the turbo. It's got to be something simple if it ran fine before the install. Maybe try a different tune. The one you have in it now may be set up for the stock exhaust back pressure.

'04 F250 6.0 RCD EGR delete, diamond eye 4"turbo back, AFE stage 2 cold air intake, Livewire TS, Warren Diesel Injection 190cc stock nozzle injectors with upgraded solenoids, FASS Titanium series fuel pump. 4" procomp suspension lift with extra overloads on rear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode