Waterpump question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage
Waterpump question

Simply, how can I tell what size I have on my engine? According to one website which sells the pumps, you can tell by some of the letters/numbers in the VIN. According to my local dealer, that is usually true, but is not always the case and the only real way is to take a look at the pump. However, being a parts guy, and not a mechanic, he didn't know if there was an external way to determine this. So, other than pulling the pump and measuring the wheel, is there another way to find out if I have a 90mm or 100mm pump?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 12:13 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Re: Waterpump question

What year model truck? Do you know when the engine was built?

The change happened between July and October of 2003.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 04:53 PM
'04psthrottlejockey

It's always helpful if you know the counter person. Some places will get both pumps so you can compare at the counter and send the wrong one back. Of course if you're ordering online you'll have to pull the pump and measure from the base of the mounting flange to the face of the hub where the pulley mounts.

'04 F250 6.0 RCD EGR delete, diamond eye 4"turbo back, AFE stage 2 cold air intake, Livewire TS, Warren Diesel Injection 190cc stock nozzle injectors with upgraded solenoids, FASS Titanium series fuel pump. 4" procomp suspension lift with extra overloads on rear.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Administrator

the reference to vin codes in here may help Bullet Proof Diesel Water Pump for 6.0L Diesel

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 12:54 AM
PSN Veteran

Using vin codes assume that the front cover is original, if not all bets are off.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

Yeah, I had seen that VIN reference before, but have been told to not trust it since Excursions tended to get leftover parts....ie, there was a 2003 front cover left over and they used it even though the Ex was a 2004.25 and up model. I have the 4EC vin, which means I SHOULD get the 100mm, but I don't know when the engine was built nor do I know if the front cover was ever changed....though I would hope if it were then it got a newer one put back on. Well, I'll be doing head gaskets soon enough.....may as well just pull the pump and measure while she's down rather than play the guessing game now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode