5R110 shudder in reverse amongst other symptoms..with codes! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
super tuner

5R110 shudder in reverse amongst other symptoms..with codes!

Ok so my trucks got a problem. Driving to work this morning, stop at a light,go to accelerate and the truck takes off in a much higher gear than normal, ok whatever I just loaded a tune maybe it will work itself out Im thinking. about a mile later just cruising the truck just downshifts at absolutely no command,just downshifts and runs the tach right up to 2500,then shifts back up. Its done this before but it didnt complete the shift up again, it just sat there and kept hammering it back and forth trying to get it into gear until either I let off, or hit the brake and command it back to a low gear,except before it didnt go into limp mode and store codes. Now it went into limp,and spit out a PO766,and P2703. I know a 766 can be popped by low fluid so I pulled the stick,it was about a quart low. Topped off, now I have an UNGODLY shudder when you go to reverse. It will literally bounce a toddler up and down on the seat of the truck if you leave it in reverse. Ive already called my auto tranny guy and he'll bench it for a grand with a converter if I do the r&r,just trying to see if anyone has come across something similar with their truck and how they fixed it.

2005 F250 CCSB Harley edition 4x4 Powerstroke
-Edge Evolution CS
-SCT X3 with custom tunes
-4 inch MBRP exhaust
-ARP headstuds
-bypass coolant filter
-EGR delete

"real cars dont spin the front wheels, they lift them"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 12:13 AM
"Slap hands slap hands"

Re: 5R110 shudder in reverse amongst other symptoms..with codes!

Unload your tune and drive it and see if this fixes the problem. I have had issues at times with my transmission relearning when a new tune is loaded. Usually takes a couple days before it smoothness out and runs great. That where I would start.

JB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 12:54 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clp13294 View Post
it just sat there and kept hammering it back and forth trying to get it into gear ..... now I have an UNGODLY shudder when you go to reverse.
Those two are related. You let it hammer the direct clutch until it failed. The trans needs to be rebuilt, it's done.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 01:39 AM
PSN Veteran

I'm not too far from you (central RI) and i can tell you, you cannot reliably build this transmission with a converter for 1000$ if thats what you mean by "bench it".

Sent you a PM

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 07:00 PM
PSN Veteran

I see that you meant 'bench it' by him building it when you pull it.

I dont see how thats possible with a converter. Rebuild kits for these are 650$+ (or more), plus seal kit, nevermind solenoids that should/need to be replaced, thrust bearings, any damaged hard parts and converter. I have never seen a converter for less than 500 bucks thats worth anything.

So unless he is charging you parts only (which i doubt, i dont see any way possible doing this.

And yes, mark is correct. Direct drive is done. needs to come out.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
super tuner

Im a transmission tech myself,be it not automatics, I specialize in Eaton roadrangers and Mack triple countershaft models,among other brands/models.But with that said I have an idea of what happened inside and can make sense of how they work,and I know its a mechanical failure.Guess I was just hoping to hear otherwise. And yes your correct matthew I spoke with him again and he said that estimate is using old converter if its good,and on OEM equivalent kit. However else he is giving me that quote is not my business if he loses money its his fault,as long as I have receipts for hard parts replaced in tranny,I dont care if he shaves his labor. I asked if he does anything with heavier duty clutch packs as I work the truck pretty hard and,lets face it,Ill race anything that happens to pull up next to me and try there hand. We give this guy ALOT of work,cause like I said we dont do automatics at my shop,only over the road manny trannys,so any automatic work goes right to him. I pulled the tune out and it just goes right to a flashing tow/haul and back to its crappy shifting. was going to try and clear adaptive memory but im not wasting my time just gonna yank the ####er have it built and restart the tucky fund for a turbo..injectors..and fuel system..and tires..and bypass oil filter. Never ends with these things.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 01:31 AM
PSN Veteran

I hear ya on the never ending. Within the last 18 months i've gone through the transmission, head studs/gaskets, 6 injectors, EGR delete, all the engine updates, plus some U joints and driveshaft work, plus other chassis work.

Sent you a PM back.

P.S. Save your money on the bypass setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode