Another headstud/headgasket thread...I apologize. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Chuggaluggin

Another headstud/headgasket thread...I apologize.

So the other day coming home from work it had been a long day and i "needed" to get around this car that had just cut me off. Well long story short i hit 28lbs of boost for like a sec(almost #### myself). Well after that and being terrified as i am still running stock headbolts my coolant temps were being a little funky jumping around 2 degrees up or 2 down never more than 15 apart from my EOT though well i pulled into my driveway and popped the hood expecting puking from my degas, well there was none but my coolant had risen significantly. I waited and released the pressure and it went back to normal. I decided to live on the risky side today and drove it to work. Temps still being a little funky but coolant is perfectly normal sooo what couldve caused the coolant to rise like that? Also im about to order ARP250-4202 I need 20mm and xdp said these will work on both 18mm or 20mm how is that possible?

06 F350 4dr long bed SRW FX4
XDP Egr delete
XDP Coolant filter system
MBRP 4" Turbo Back exhaust
Edge Evo Cs
2.5 level

Wayyy more to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 12:16 AM
"Slap hands slap hands"

Re: Another headstud/headgasket thread...I apologize.

What were your actual temps at? What are using to monitor your teams? I have seen my excursion hit 27-28 on boost before and never had any issues with stock head lots both unhooked and towing my boat. Are you losing coolant?

JB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Chuggaluggin

temps are EOT 175 ECT 168-172. I monitor them via edge evolution cs and no not losing any coolant.

XDP Egr delete
Edge Evo Cs
2.5 level

Wayyy more to come!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 12:35 AM
PSN Veteran

the studs are the same regardless of dowel pin size. you shouldnt need 20mm unless your truck is late 06 or 07 or has had the heads replaced previously. I usually go by the one piece air cleaner tube, the 10mm tapered nut things that hold the ficm down, and injector hold down bolts that take a t45 socket to indicate a late 06 engine.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 12:37 AM
PSN Veteran

the coolant expands when it gets hot causing it to rise in the bottle. what did you find fussy about your temps?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Chuggaluggin

Ive hit over 200 in temps though when towing and never really saw my coolant rise thats what spooked me. Honestly it was just weird that the coolant was jumping in multiples instead of 171 172 173 etc it was 168 172 170 just inconsistent

XDP Egr delete
Edge Evo Cs
2.5 level

Wayyy more to come!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 01:07 AM
"Slap hands slap hands"

Everything sounds normal to me sometimes my EDGE CTS jumps around a little bit like that too. Where is your coolant filled to when cold? Everything I have read says it should sit at the bottom line on the reservoir. Temps are close to what mine typicaly are around town I get in the high 190s low 200s when towing as well.

JB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Chuggaluggin

Yeah bottom line on reservoir.

XDP Egr delete
Edge Evo Cs
2.5 level

Wayyy more to come!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 05:14 AM
PSN Local

As mentioned, ARP 250-4202 is for all 6.0 PSD engines. It's the alignment dowels that changed.

Honestly, I think you're being a little too sensitive. Remember, it's not really the pressure produced by the turbo that stresses head gaskets – it's the fuel added to that air to cause higher combustion pressures. If you're really concerned you compromised a HG hook up a 0-30 psi gauge to the degas bottle and see what it tells you. That will give you a definite answer.

Oh, and your ECT is too low. If you're confident the sender and the instrument are accurate it's time for a new thermostat.

2004 F-250 Lariat, 6.0, SCLB, 4wd, Magnaflow turbo-back, EGR delete, studded, 6.4 banjo, new oil cooler and HPOP as of 5-11-2014
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 10:08 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michipicoten_SuperDuty View Post

Oh, and your ECT is too low. If you're confident the sender and the instrument are accurate it's time for a new thermostat.

Was wondering how long before someone caught this. If you aren't getting over 170ish ECT, you need a new tstat.

Edit....now that I read your stated temps again, when did you read those temps? Truck fully warmed up? Both of those seem low to me..that's not up to temp.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode