No trans fluid change... Ever? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

No trans fluid change... Ever?

Just bought my truck about a month ago. Guy said he has never changed the fluid in the trans, not even touched it. I've heard from quite a few people that if I put new fluid in there then it will wash out all of the shavings and what not and I will probably have issues. What do you think? Change it or leave it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 01:19 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Re: No trans fluid change... Ever?

How many miles on it?
Did he ever change the external filter?

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 07:20 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

If the trans is in good shape new fluid can only help it. If the trans is about to die new fluid won't save it. If it were mine I'd change the fluid.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

It has 240,000 miles on it. I'm the third owner. Carfax showed first owner serviced everything religiously and he owned it for the first 100k. The second owner claims to never have touched the trans. Where is the external filter located?

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
If the trans is in good shape new fluid can only help it. If the trans is about to die new fluid won't save it. If it were mine I'd change the fluid.

I read you're sticky about the trans flush. I'm not sure I agree with what you're saying though. I am no expert by any means but it seems to me that if the trans is running great then adding new detergent to it will wash out all of the shavings and what not that have collected. I know the new fluid won't hurt it, but what the new fluid does might. That's what makes me nervous.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 08:44 AM
"resident smarty pants"

The external filter is on the passenger side - up near the front bumper.

It requires a 22mm socket and it is best to use an impact wrench to remove the filter housing (it is not secured very well and a ratchet will potentially bend things).

The filters from Ford are expensive. Get one from DieselFiltersOnLine.com.

I would remove the filter (change it) and see what the old one looks like.

The internal filter is not one that needs changing.

FYI - you can change the fluid easily since the pan has a drain plug. However, there is so much fluid that is retained after you drain the pan, you still have slightly less than 50% new fluid with a single drain/re-fill operation.

I think a series of drain and fill operations (along with the filter change) would be advisable. After the first drain and fill, drive it a few hundred miles and do another drain and fill. I would even do it a third time. Not cheap, but better than a flush IMO.

I would use Mercon SP or LV fluid only.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 02:43 PM
PSN Veteran

I bought my powerstroke with 187k then out of curiosity on the wear of the trans @300k miles I dropped the pan to check for metal fines....found very little, I did a 5 gallon flush...truck is now at 355k

1996 F350 Crewcab lb 2wd auto, tommylift, now over 451k, 355k 3/31/15

1991 F250 Xtracab lb 2wd auto, sold again! Driveline and chassis is under a '65 F350 cab

1965 F100 styleside, power brakes, front discs, 390 all the goodies
2015 F250 CCSB 2wd gasser auto
2008 Mustang WIP, warriors in pink, wife's
2009 Focus, son's
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 04:01 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHatchett View Post
I read you're sticky about the trans flush.
That does not apply to this transmission. It will not work on a 5R110 TorqShift transmission.

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with what you're saying though. I am no expert by any means but it seems to me that if the trans is running great then adding new detergent to it will wash out all of the shavings and what not that have collected.
You say you're not an expert. I am an expert. You just spouted internet myth nonsense. But if you believe that, don't change your fluid. I won't be the one paying for your new trans.

Quote:
I know the new fluid won't hurt it, but what the new fluid does might.
Speaking of nonsense, what does that sentence mean? New fluid won't hurt it, but new fluid might hurt it?!?!?!?

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I think a series of drain and fill operations (along with the filter change) would be advisable. After the first drain and fill, drive it a few hundred miles and do another drain and fill. I would even do it a third time. Not cheap, but better than a flush IMO.
Why is it better ? a flush replaces all the fluid with new fluid in one shot vs new fluid mixing with dirty fluid three times

no voodoo , backflush , chemicals just old out new in via the flush machine that preheats the new oil so the t stat stays open

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Speaking of nonsense, what does that sentence mean? New fluid won't hurt it, but new fluid might hurt it?!?!?!?

I was saying what the new fluid DOES will hurt it. I understand you're an expert but this is not an Internet myth. I know a few people who will back me on this. If the fluid hasn't been changed, then all of the buildup/shavings/whatever that has gathered there is kind of keeping everything in sync. Wash all of that away and problems can occur.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode