Steering box adjustment - how much is too much? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Question Steering box adjustment - how much is too much?

I bought a used 2004 F350 PSD that has some play in the steering wheel. I read some DIYs on how to adjust the steering box and though I would give it a try. When I tried to adjust the allen screw in about a 1/4 turn, it would only go in about 1/8 a turn before it stopped. I tested it out, and the steering slop is nearly gone. Is it okay to bottom out that adjusting screw? Should it have been that far down in the first place? I'm thinking about just getting a new steering box to be safe, but don't know if it really is a problem. Thanks for your advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 03:33 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Steering box adjustment - how much is too much?

no because you only can go about 1/8 at a time and then drive the truck, to much and it will bind the steering. and once you go to far you cant go back.

basicly you just need a new one. I am fixing to do new ball joints and steering gear box but will go with a red head unit its a bit more expensice but the factory and most all aftermarket ones just are junk too.

I made the mistake of buying a aftermarket one from local dealer and it was nearly as bad as the one I took off after a couple of months, wont make that mistake again

2008 got a new flex pipe installed. S-b intake, 4in dp back exhaust, gear head tunes All deletes done now.
flow pro hot pipe. CCV mode.

2013 dodge charger
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback! That's what I figured - time to get a new box. Just curious though - does anyone know why these things are so prone to failure?

Pete

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 03:29 AM
Administrator

how many miles do you have ?

I personally don't think they are that prone to fail and I would adjust some more if it were mine however I can't recommend that to you since you could bind your steering

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

I've got almost 300K miles on the odometer, but I don't know how old the steering gear box is. The box has at least a few years of rust scale built up on it, so I'm sure that it has seen at least 50K or possibly up to 100K miles on it or more. It may even be the original. Unfortunately, there have been at least two owners before me, and I can't get the info.

From what I've read, it looks like the OEM boxes last about 50K miles or even less. Maybe I'm only reading about the bad ones and there are more good than bad out there.

I feel that mine has definitely lived a good long life either way, so I won't feel bad about replacing it. I would still like to keep it going as long as I can, so I'll probably wait on the replacement a little bit until I'm sure it's on its last leg since the slop is gone now. When it is time to replace, I am probably going to take it apart to see what the problem is - a leak, worn bearing, or whatever. I've seen some rebuild kits for sale, and I've read of some people rebuilding themselves and getting them back to great condition with just 2-3 hours of work. I think it would be fun to try, even if I end up having to buy a new/remanufactured one anyway.

Thanks again!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 02:32 PM
Administrator

yours is probably the original box and here you are asking why they are failure prone

mine has over 109,000 miles and has been running 37's since 20k
so no complaints here

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

I know. I am embarrassed for asking.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 04:09 AM
Administrator

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 01:20 PM
PSN Veteran

In my companys 3 6.0s that went to 200k we had to change a power steering pump in each one, never had to mess with steering boxes. These trucks would push 12,000 lbs alone and pulled trailers 50%. This is new information to me, which is getting common.

06 f250 personal, 05 bmw x5 wife, 14 f350 srw work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
it's a 6.0 nervous goes with it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode