Transmission issues?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Transmission issues??

just bought my 03 f350 automatic 4x4 about a month ago, it's studded and deleted, guy has receipts saying it has a 63mm powermax, 205cc injectors(doesn't specify what brand or nozzles on them) and I'm running a gear heads srlxx less fuel tune on my sct. Lately when I try to get on it, at about 2500 rpms the trans just kind of faults out and revs to redline then goes back to normal. On easy driving it is fine, shifts firm, no slips or anything. I noticed going into reverse and drive I sometimes have a 3-6 second delay. 226xxx miles on what I have to assume is a stock trans, am I looking at a full rebuild? Or just a faulty solenoid? I'm unsure what sort of power the truck is putting down, so idk if I'm pushing the limits of the stock trans(and I say this because the previous owner had some outrageous claims on what sort of power this truck puts down lol) It's not throwing any codes so I'm sort of lost, thanks in advance for any info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 07:49 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Transmission issues??

ok. you have receipts claiming a 63mm pmax and 205 injectors.. and are running a defuelled hot tune. I have a 64mm pmax and 205/100 injectors and the same tune, its not a good set up, it gets hot fast and is VERY smokey. does yours act similar? if so id agree with the previous owners claims

you are definitely outgoing the trans horsepower limits. if treated right they can last for a little while , but eventually will wear. and if theres 226k on a stock trans i would assume its near game over. when you get on it , and revs up .. to my knowledge from over a computer .. its slipping.

do you have a fuel system ? or monitoring device to watch fuel pressure egts etc

Admin of BCCR

2007 f-350 CC/SB Lariat --SOLD--

2006 F-350 CC/SB Harley Davidson

- 205/100s
- Custom twin superduty pump fuel system W/ RR
- BW S366
- 4" exhaust to dual 5" tips
- air raid CAI
- 80k miles
- levelled, 35s
- Bulletproofed
- Gearhead tuning
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Pyro is in order, stock fuel system with blue spring mod. I'm wondering if a better tune would benefit me? It's not too smokey unless you really mash the pedal after a bit of deaccelerstion. My reference to previous owners claims were he was saying this trucks putting 700to the rear wheels lol, I doubt it's near that.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 12:50 AM
PSN Veteran

No way in hell its near that especially with that turbo and fuel system IMO. From what you're describing direct drive is toasted, and may have other issues if it just revs up in any gear under heavy throttle. 226,000 miles plus that power isnt making it happy. I would pull it and go through it without a doubt if you want any kind of reliability out of it.

Where are you located?

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I'm in northeast Ohio. I think what I'm going to do is pick up another trans in working order and swap them. Then start a build on mine. That'll ease the pain on my wallet if I can buy some time.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 03:55 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

205's, a 63mm, and stock fuel system... And claims 700hp? Sounds to me like the previous owner had no idea what the hell he was doing. Maybe just bought up parts he got the best deal on.

As far as your question...I'm with the other guys. Probably time for a rebuild.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Right, he dropped it off at a shop and had all this done. Wish he would dropped a trans in it while it was there!!! Lol thanks guys!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 09:36 PM
PSN Veteran

in all reality. on a stock fuel system, you'll only see around 500. thats about all a stock system can support . try and find out what size nozzles are on the injectors , to size out a charger in the future

Admin of BCCR

2007 f-350 CC/SB Lariat --SOLD--

2006 F-350 CC/SB Harley Davidson

- 205/100s
- Custom twin superduty pump fuel system W/ RR
- BW S366
- 4" exhaust to dual 5" tips
- air raid CAI
- 80k miles
- levelled, 35s
- Bulletproofed
- Gearhead tuning
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

How does one identify nozzle size?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

And as for seeing 500ish, I'm fine with lol the truck runs like a raped ape, this is my first powerstroke and goodness am i impressed lol. I may try a tune from Nate windrunner, heard nothing but good things thus far. My sct has srlxx full fuel and srlxx less fuel and my trans shifts awful on the full fuel so I'm unsure if it's tune related? Im sure it's not in my circumstance but it's cheap to try and even after a new trans I'll still be able to run the tune.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode