6.0 Upgrades Needed?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Terry

6.0 Upgrades Needed??

I have a 2005 F350 Superduty with the 6.0 engine. Bought it last fall with plans to buy and pull a 5th wheel camper this summer. When I bought the truck I was told that it had the EGR delete done on it, but none of the other mods. My truck has 173k miles on it. I have checked a couple of diesel shops in my area, and a full bullet proof, (head studs, head gaskets, oil cooler, etc. ) runs around $5000. Kind of spendy for me right now. My wife and I are planning on pulling our 5th wheel, (12 - 14K pounds) across the country. I have read a number of posts about different modifications. Would like to get some inputs on what would get me the most bang for my buck to minimize my risk of engine problems towing my camper across the country without breaking the bank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 02:36 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 6.0 Upgrades Needed??

Get a way to monitor gauges, i use torque app, and check the health of your truck, ficm, oil coolant deltas etc. Get your alternator and batteries tested, a in depth coolant flush and bypass coolant filter. Hook on your camper and drive it like you stole it to make sure your turbo is free, clean if necessary. A egt gauge is probably a good investment along with fuel pressure.

06 f250 personal, 05 bmw x5 wife, 14 f350 srw work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
it's a 6.0 nervous goes with it
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Terry

Thanks. Sounds like I have some homework to do. Not real knowledgeable so it sounds like i have a lot to learn and check into. Just bought new batteries . Will see if I can monitor some of my truck'so vitals. Thanks again.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 04:20 AM
PSN Local

Scan gauge 2 is hands down the best way to see the engine vitals for the price. I would replace the head bolts with ARP studs. You can do the one at a time method. It has worked for some. if it doesnt work for you, the only thing you loss is your time putting them in. I have yet to hear someone that it didn't work for. after you buy the sc2 we can tell you if the oil cooler needs to be replaced and how your ficm is holding up! The only other major update for that year truck is the STC fitting. very common failure for the 05.

03 Excursion, Banks turbo back, K&N intake, SCT sf2, Scangauge 2, 285/70R17 on Eagle alloys, purchased June '10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 04:44 AM
PSN Veteran

Blue spring for the fuel is around 80 bucks. There is a thread here about gauge options, torque is $5 and with a bluetooth adapter for $30 its pretty nice, here is a pic of my screen, also does my other vehicles.

06 f250 personal, 05 bmw x5 wife, 14 f350 srw work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
it's a 6.0 nervous goes with it
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 05:44 AM
PSN Local

+1, another vote for a monitor system. I have an Edge I use to continuously monitor ECT and EOT, but I also just ordered a Scangauge II as a troubleshooting tool (should the need arise). What a Scangauge II will tell you will let you know where you need to concentrate your efforts. They're available through Autozone for $160 (or cheaper if you order them online).

2004 F-250 Lariat, 6.0, SCLB, 4wd, Magnaflow turbo-back, EGR delete, studded, 6.4 banjo, new oil cooler and HPOP as of 5-11-2014
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 01:16 AM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs97z28 View Post
Scan gauge 2 is hands down the best way to see the engine vitals for the price. I would replace the head bolts with ARP studs. You can do the one at a time method. It has worked for some. if it doesnt work for you, the only thing you loss is your time putting them in. I have yet to hear someone that it didn't work for. after you buy the sc2 we can tell you if the oil cooler needs to be replaced and how your ficm is holding up! The only other major update for that year truck is the STC fitting. very common failure for the 05.
STC?

2006 Lariat crew cab shortbed 6.0PSD
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 01:51 AM
PSN Local

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulepick View Post
STC?
Stock stc fitting on the hpop on 05-07 6.0 trucks fail at a %100 failure rate. STC stands for Snap To Connect.

05 F350 cclb dually, egr delete, blue spring upgrade, coolant filter, cat and muffler delete, scanguage II
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 09:40 AM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
Stock stc fitting on the hpop on 05-07 6.0 trucks fail at a %100 failure rate. STC stands for Snap To Connect.

May be a stupid question but if the HPOP has been replaced, what are the chances that they changed that fitting while they were in there if it was done at the dealership?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 01:21 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Depends on when they changed the HPOP

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode