Wheel hub assembly/Ball Joints/Pittman arm - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Wheel hub assembly/Ball Joints/Pittman arm

Time to replace the front hub bearing assembly and upper and lower ball joints on both front sides, as well as my pittman arm.
I currently have a 6" procomp leaf spring lift.
The truck is a 2004 6.0L.

A shop quoted me $1300 after tax ($900 parts/$360 labor/$50 alignment).
Unfortunately, I have a few more things that need to be done to the truck and can't spend that much.
I feel like they're overcharging on the parts..
Would these parts work for the truck?
I don't need the best of the best. If they last 5k less than the top brand I don't mind them.

Wheel bearing assembly:
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty Truck 4WD Front Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly for Models with 4 Wheel ABS at 1A Auto.com

Ball joints:
XRF Ford F250 F350 Super Duty Upper Lower Ball Joint 1999 2006 | eBay

or

2004 Ford F250 Super Duty Truck 4WD Front Upper Lower Ball Joint (Set of 4) at 1A Auto.com

or

Ford F250 F350 F450 F550 Excursion 4WD/4X4 Upper & Lower Ball Joint Set (L&R)

Pittman arm:
FA499 Skyjacker - Pitman Arm At StylinTrucks.com

2004 F250 6.0 Lariat
8" Procomp Lift
Fuel Hostage 18x12
37" Mickey Thompson MT
Straight Piped
JVC/Alpine
RCD
SCT/QuickTricks
Rhino-Lined Ranch Hand

"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Re: Wheel hub assembly/Ball Joints/Pittman arm

1A is a good seller but I wouldn't use cheap unit bearings on a truck I was keeping I would get the Timken brand they sell with the lifetime warranty

that shop looks like it priced non Timken as well

i use OEM balljointsso I have no input on the selections you made but you will likely need some seal kits also don't forget and some seal driving tools if you DIY

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 04:48 PM
PSN Veteran

I hate to burst bubbles, but there would be no way i would ever put a 100$ hub unit in these trucks. No offense to 1A auto, but the quality is just not there. An OE or timken unit is 3-4 times that (and for a reason).

For ball joints, i would just use the MOOG's and be done with it. They should last the life of the truck when greased regularly. The greasing is very important!

If you're going to do this yourself, know that there are some special tools involved. One being the axle seal/axle installation tool (installs new knuckle seal onto axle, and installs axle at correct depth into knuckle) as well as a ball joint press and assortment of press cups/adapters.

That is a fair price the shop gave you. The ball joints pay 5 hours and the labor is overlapping for the hub unit. My shop is 100$/hr so thats 500 in labor alone. I would just question the hub unit quality in the hub the shop quoted you. What brand ball joints did they quote you?

Whats wrong with the pitman arm? They are not a normal wear item as they have no moving parts.

edit: damnit zmann you beat me to it
bismic1 likes this.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
edit: damnit zmann you beat me to it
I was like didn't I just mention some of this

but you did elaborate ( very well I might add )
and I didn't question the Pitman arm but I had the same question in my mind

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Is this the correct timken wheel bearing assembly?

You think they're just trying to stiff me on the Pittman arm?

Also, what about those xrf ball joints I listed? I've read good things about xrf ones.

2004 F250 6.0 Lariat
8" Procomp Lift
Fuel Hostage 18x12
37" Mickey Thompson MT
Straight Piped
JVC/Alpine
RCD
SCT/QuickTricks
Rhino-Lined Ranch Hand

"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 05:20 PM
PSN Veteran

If that is indeed a genuine timken bearing, then that is a good deal. XRF are good but the MOOGs are much more accesable(parts stores, etc) for warranty purposes should the need arise.

You'll also need new dust seals for the axles and the knuckle seals too. The nice thing about the OE bearing is that it comes with new studs for the bearing. You'll need to remove the old studs from the old bearing and transfer them over. If they are all rusty it sucks to re use them.

I'd simply ask the shop whats wrong with the pitman arm. There are no joints to wear out. Unless its bent or something. Steering wheel would be a mile off center if that was the case though.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Administrator

i am worried about that listing I had asked Timken about this directly and they said it wasn't true

Quote:
Note: Timken partners with other manufacturers to supply their complete line of quality parts. This product is in a Timken package, however the part may have been manufactured by an independent Timken supplier.
they also said counterfeit is an issue and to stick with an authorized reseller but they don't make that list public

just inspect the part if you get it there also check 1A they sell timken and upgrade the warranty to life on some (maybe all i don't know)

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewd11 View Post
If that is indeed a genuine timken bearing, then that is a good deal. XRF are good but the MOOGs are much more accesable(parts stores, etc) for warranty purposes should the need arise.

You'll also need new dust seals for the axles and the knuckle seals too. The nice thing about the OE bearing is that it comes with new studs for the bearing. You'll need to remove the old studs from the old bearing and transfer them over. If they are all rusty it sucks to re use them.

I'd simply ask the shop whats wrong with the pitman arm. There are no joints to wear out. Unless its bent or something. Steering wheel would be a mile off center if that was the case though.
Could you possibly link me to a place where I could buy the dust seals and knuckle seals? I'm having trouble finding them. Thanks!

2004 F250 6.0 Lariat
8" Procomp Lift
Fuel Hostage 18x12
37" Mickey Thompson MT
Straight Piped
JVC/Alpine
RCD
SCT/QuickTricks
Rhino-Lined Ranch Hand

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 08:04 PM
Administrator

ask for a price from Sunrise ford Fontana they are on this site and will get you the right parts cheaper than most any other dealer

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 09:29 PM
Professional American, guarding our constitution. Gone, but not forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh923 View Post
Could you possibly link me to a place where I could buy the dust seals and knuckle seals? I'm having trouble finding them. Thanks!
They're about $30, Sunrise has them as does every other dealer... Just not with the nifty discount we get here from Sunrise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode