Hard turn over..... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
She's ALIVE AgAiN!!!

Hard turn over.....

Hey guys,
03' PSD.
Replaced the HPOP, IPR, ICP, ICP Pigtail and Turbo drain tube. I also replaced the oil and added some Lucas to it, replaced the oil filter and both fuel filters.
Left the FICM and valve covers off for access to bleed screws on the oil rails.
Hooked the batteries up and went to crank her over to prime the HPOP.

She turned over 2 or 3 times and then acted like the batteries were dead. Just a clicking noise.
I tested the batteries with a volt meter and got a reading of 12.7 on the primary and 12.2 on the secondary. Tested both independently and disconnected/out of the truck. I then took them to Oreillys and had them load test them. Both tested good.
What the hell did I do wrong here? Engine seems to turn over freely but when you hit the key to crank, she winds slowly and stops, then clicks like dead batteries.
Any ideas guys?

04' (Late 03' engine) Lariat PSD, Auto, Crew cab, 4x4, high idle mod, egr delete, 6.4 banjo, blue spring, coolant filter, ARP studs, 21* HPOP, 6.4 starter, more to come.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 08:23 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Hard turn over.....

Are the cables all in good shape and tight?

2006 F350 Lariat Tow Boss W/training wheels.

SCT W/GH's tunes, ARP's, Blk & Heads milled, Strictly RR and aux coolant lines, 6" Aussies, Snow MPG-Max, BPD: VK688,EGR, W/Pump, and FICM, Coolant filt, Train Horns, CTS (Monitor only) + Autometer backups

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Muley 9-25-09
Keep on Honkin' Jerry 04-05-10
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
She's ALIVE AgAiN!!!

Yes, sir. Even checked the body, block and battery grounds.

04' (Late 03' engine) Lariat PSD, Auto, Crew cab, 4x4, high idle mod, egr delete, 6.4 banjo, blue spring, coolant filter, ARP studs, 21* HPOP, 6.4 starter, more to come.....

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 04:21 AM
PSN Veteran

Garage

You could try it with either a battery booster connected or another battery via jumper cables and see what happens. I'm assuming your starter was fine before? 12.2 does seem a tad low for a fully charged battery. May also want to put a charger on these and make sure they're fully up to par before trying again.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
She's ALIVE AgAiN!!!

I thought 12.2 was low as well but Ive heard of guys starting their trucks with 9v or so. Ive got one on a maintainer/charger now and I'll leave it for a few days and switch it to the other and see if that helps but I think Im also going to pull the glow plugs and see if I cant relieve some of that compression and make sure theres nothing in the cylinders that is causing it difficulty. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Might even take the battery out of my other truck and replace it with one of the 6.0 batteries and see if that helps it charge better and possibly use the gasser battery in the 6.0 to see if that helps. Just frustrating.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 04:19 AM
PSN Veteran

Garage

I imagine if your starter isn't quite as good as it used to be, it's going to need more oomph to work, so a 12.2 battery might not be enough. Maybe. lol
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
She's ALIVE AgAiN!!!

So, I threw the battery maintainer/charger on the secondary battery on Monday. I went out yesterday to see what she was doing and low and behold she bumped up to 13.4v. So I put her on the primary. We will see what that one comes out to and go from there.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 01:06 AM
PSN Local

did you get the beast running, yet?

03 Excursion, Banks turbo back, K&N intake, SCT sf2, Scangauge 2, 285/70R17 on Eagle alloys, purchased June '10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
She's ALIVE AgAiN!!!

No. Still trying to work out this hard start issue. I fully charged the batteries with a battery maintainer/charger. Both up to 13.49v. reinstalled and got the same problem. I don't know whats going on. The crank turns over fine but with the batteries, will only turn over 2 or 3 times, then nothing. Going to try and hook another battery to them and see what I can get. Any other suggestions?

Edit: Pretty sure the starter is working correctly (could be wrong) and the A/C compressor is not locked up as the pulley rotates when the belt turns. I also pulled the drivers side glow plugs to relieve some of the compression. Cant get the passenger side off without pulling the a/c box (?).

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 05:39 PM
PSN Local

seriously? what about your starter and its connections that could be toast. and to expect your battery to be over 12v all the time is ridiculous a battery over 11.5v is good enough to start your truck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode