My 05 F250 threw a code today.. questions and suggestions. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage
Unhappy My 05 F250 threw a code today.. questions and suggestions.

My 2005 F250 6.0 threw a code this morning and had a free DTC Scan done and found out the code thrown was P0460 pertaining to fuel sending unit sensor.

If this quote unquote "Fuel Sending Unit" is the unit mounted inside the fuel.. then I'll be very miffed. Because I've already had that thing replaced three times since I bought it in 2010. My buddy at the parts store who scanned the computer told me to post up on a Forum to see if anybody has experienced problematic issues with that particular part.

Suggestions or solutions anyone?

2005 F250 4x4 6.0L Powerstroke
Mods: MBRP 5" TB T409 Exhaust with Stock Catalytic Converter Pioneer AVH-4100NEX w/iPod & Android Connections Banks Intercooler System(Custom Coated) Deka 0/2 Gauge Battery Harness DC Power Red 190a HD Alternator Rancho RS9000XL Shocks Volant PowerCore Intake CCV Filter Kit Powerstop Z36 Calipers/Pads/Rotors
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 03:09 PM
PSN Local

Re: My 05 F250 threw a code today.. questions and suggestions.

Mine throws that code about once a month but that's because I installed a 50 gal fuel tank. My understanding is that the code is thrown if there is no movement of the sending unit detected.

Mark
05 F-250 Lariat
6" lift W/ 35's
Stock W/ Sinister coolant filter system, BPD 6 phase FICM, blue spring upgrade
51 gal Titan fuel tank
Edge Insight CS
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 03:10 PM
Jackleg Mechanic

My truck occasionally has that code. I believe it is due to a connection problem in the GEM. Sometime when I trun on the key I get no reading on the fuel gauge and trip-odometer. It always corrects itself, sometime after a key cycle and sometime without. After the no reading episode is when the code shows up.

Jeff
06 F350 6.0L CCLB AMARILLO 4X4
- SCT Livewire, Quick Tricks Looney tune, XDP Coolant filter, Blue Spring Mod, High Flow Banjo bolts, Warren's 175/30 injectors with upgraded spools, ARP Studs, PowerMax Stag One Turbo, Bilstien 5100's. Banks 4in turbo back Monster exhaust. All necessary internal bulletproofing. High Idle mod

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 05:17 PM
Administrator

I have had a Titan 50 for 50,000 miles and never had that code

also these trucks don't have a GEM that was done away with and we use the PCM/VS/ABS/and other modules including the instrument cluster as one

the code states the output ohms is high?
that almost sounds like a wire issue
or I believe the cluster does the fuel level not the PCM but I would have to look

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage

Hmmmmm... well now that's odd. I just got done reading through the Ford Owners Manual and according to the book it states that the long beds came with a 38 Gallon Tank and the short beds came with a 30.5

Well I guess I just narrowed down on why the heck when I fill the tank from 1/4 capacity it only dumps in 28 gallons roughly.

Considering my truck is long bed with obviously a factory fluke of a 30.5 gallon tank.. does this mean the computers are set up to recognize a long bed truck with a a long bed fuel tank(NOT a short bed fuel tank)?

Because if that is the case I'm about to raise hell with the local dealership for not fixing this problem alooooong time ago.. and it would explain why it's eating up sending units.

Mods: MBRP 5" TB T409 Exhaust with Stock Catalytic Converter Pioneer AVH-4100NEX w/iPod & Android Connections Banks Intercooler System(Custom Coated) Deka 0/2 Gauge Battery Harness DC Power Red 190a HD Alternator Rancho RS9000XL Shocks Volant PowerCore Intake CCV Filter Kit Powerstop Z36 Calipers/Pads/Rotors
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 04:10 AM
Administrator

they are programed for tank size and the sender is different for the two tanks
you can tell a SB tank from a long bed pretty easy

i have my SB tank sitting out back if you want a length

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

Last edited by Zmann; 05-12-2015 at 04:00 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 03:56 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroc2002 View Post
Hmmmmm... well now that's odd. I just got done reading through the Ford Owners Manual and according to the book it states that the long beds came with a 38 Gallon Tank and the short beds came with a 30.5

Well I guess I just narrowed down on why the heck when I fill the tank from 1/4 capacity it only dumps in 28 gallons roughly.

Considering my truck is long bed with obviously a factory fluke of a 30.5 gallon tank.. does this mean the computers are set up to recognize a long bed truck with a a long bed fuel tank(NOT a short bed fuel tank)?

Because if that is the case I'm about to raise hell with the local dealership for not fixing this problem alooooong time ago.. and it would explain why it's eating up sending units.
Do the math. 1/4 tank of 37 gallons is 9 gallons.

I fill pretty much every time at a 1/4 tank, but I top off to the top off fill tube and put in 31 gallons. So, I get about 40 gallons in the tank. (No, I haven't Harpooned the tank yet)

"I'm hitting easy street on mud tires"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage
Red face Re: My 05 F250 threw a code today.. questions and suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv View Post
Do the math. 1/4 tank of 37 gallons is 9 gallons.

I fill pretty much every time at a 1/4 tank, but I top off to the top off fill tube and put in 31 gallons. So, I get about 40 gallons in the tank. (No, I haven't Harpooned the tank yet)
OK point taken.. still trying to adjust to the differences in the fuel consumption over my old Nissan Pathfinder.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage

Still can't put my finger on why it's eating up sending units like it is. Hopefully I'll have some kind of answer to that ten thousand dollar by the end of today.. the truck is currently at a local Automotive Electric Shop right now. I told the guys all the symptoms it's been having electrical wise.

Alternator replaced X4
FICM replaced X1
EGR Valve replaced X3 or 4
Fuel Sending Units replaced X3 (third one is going out)
HVAC Controls & fan Malfunction and won't power up at random
Stereo Steering Wheel Controls malfunction(turn volume down turns volume up/turn volume up fast fowards through songs/fast fowards button only either won't work or rewind songs)
Stereos killed without mercy.. X1 (Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD w/iPod Connection)
Possible external device damage.. X1 (Apple iPod 160gb Classic from 2010[NO LONGER IS THE CLASSICS LINE IN PRODUCTION])

Grrrrrr.. need answers for closure and I most definitely do not want to unload this beast over electrical issue. If I'm able to play tug-o-war with a house and win.. and yet still get to leave from the Santa Cruz area with a full tank and make it to Barstow out by the I-15 with only a quarter of a tank remaining.. then I don't get rid of this torque monster.. especially if it's getting better mileage than a bone stock 4.6L gas V8. Not to mention diesel #2 is finally cheaper than regular gas right now. It's going for $3.09 a gallon compared to $3.43 to $3.48 a gallon for regular in my area. Sucks to be a Hybrid owner right now. Lol

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 06:42 PM
Administrator

the steering wheel control is the clock spring or interference with the adapter

I have the Axxess Integrate ASWC-1 and it was doing weird things they denied interference would be an issue so I almost did the clock spring

then one day i moved the ASWC unit and never had another issue

I also have 3 ipod classics and they all died and needed new screens or batteries

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode