Starter Problem - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Starter Problem

I have a 2003 6.0l F-250. After sitting for 4 hours tried to start the truck and it wouldn't start, just clicks. I've load tested the batteries ( load tested good ), checked power at large terminal of the starter (12.3v), checked power at small terminal (11.9), removed starter and bench tested it ( worked fine ), replaced starter ( same problem present ), ran a jumper from battery to small terminal on starter ( solenoid engages but starter motor doesn't spin, checked starter relay to see if it's clicking ( it's clicking ), swapped starter relay for a known good one, performed pin point test per Ford manual ( all test good ), so I was afraid engine was seized so tried to turn motor by hand at the crankshaft dampener and it turned easily enough. I'm stumped. Any suggestions ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Starter Problem

Forgot to mention the pinpoint test I used was pinpoint test B in the OEM manual for my specific concern - no crank relay does click. I also replaced batteries for S&G's also grounded frame and motor with two pairs of jumper cables one on each battery negative post. I'm going to pull the starter tomorrow and try to rotate the flex plate to rule out possible busted crankhaft but I really don't think it's busted because it ran just fine before shutdown. I'm scratching my head on this one. ?????

Last edited by Weser; 03-20-2015 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Misspelling
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 01:34 AM
PSN Local

Garage

I noticed you checked everything that pertains to the positive side but there's no mention of the ground side of the system being checked, which is just as important. Reread second post, my bad.

05 F350 cclb dually, egr delete, blue spring upgrade, coolant filter, cat and muffler delete, scanguage II

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So here is what I did this morning; pulled the starter and bench tested (worked just fine), turned the motor by hand while assistant watched through starter hole at rear of engine and everything was turning smooth. So, I decided to bypass all the wiring down to the starter. I attached the battery cable and signal wire and let the starter dangle under the truck. I grabbed a pair of jumper cables and went straight down to the starter positive to big stud ground to starter case. Hooked up my remote start to positive on battery and down to small stud. Pressed the button and she kicks out and spins !!! So, started taking a close look at the battery cables. I was going to do another resistance test this time isolating the cable from the terminal (original terminals we're replaced with the quick change type wears ago). I pulled off the first wire the one with fusible links to get at the one to the starter and when I went to loosen the second nut I noticed I was just a bit loose. Tightened it up and all is good. Goes to show you have to pay attention to every small detail with the electrical on these trucks.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 03:58 AM
PSN Veteran

Garage

I may be off, but those voltages look low to me. A 12V battery should be over 13 fully charged.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode