ticking noise - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Yup it's me!

ticking noise

So I bought an '04 6.0L yesterday. I'm not nearly as versed in the 6.0's as I am with the 7.3's. It's got a ticking noise that sounds like it's coming from the front drivers side of the engine. It doesn't do it nearly as loud when it's cold and get's progressively louder once it's warm. My first thought is that it's a lifter. But I'm not sure how common lifter issues are with these. And the sound is a little odd. It's hard to describe. It doesn't sound like a hard metal tap, it sounds a little softer. Almost like a belt squeak.

So how common are lifter issues with the 6.0's? Anything else that's common on these to tick? Can you get the lifters out without pulling the head if that is the issue?

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, long box 4X4, 4" lift, 35" tires
Injectors,GTS Motorsports
Crower rods, H11 Head studs, Cam,DIGen II HPOP, chip-Swamp's Diesel
Chip Live Tuned from PHP
TransBTS
Ceramic Coating from Performance Coatings in Auburn, WA
Sponsred by Nitrous Outlet[email protected] in 1/4 mi!
466hp #2 only 806hp NČO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:12 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: ticking noise

What you are describing sounds exactly like a lifter 'chirp' as i like to call it. Youtube some vibeos, you'll quickly find your answer. And they seem to be very common with the early engines especially, and those that are maintained poorly. They usually take the cam out with it, and eventually the LPOP and front cover (if it sucks up some needle bearings).

Engine or trans must be removed to service this. Heads need to come off, cam comes out the rear, branch tubes must come off to service rear lifters. Its not a quick job by any means.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Yup it's me!

Yeah I've done head studs/gaskets on these before so I've been almost that deep into them. This engine is all stock so I guess that means it's a great time to do all the bulletproofing it'll need as well. Got a good enough deal on it that I should still be OK with all that work into it.

How long will the ticking typically go before the bearing comes apart and messes up the rest of the stuff?

Chip Live Tuned from PHP
TransBTS
466hp #2 only 806hp NČO

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 05:51 PM
PSN Veteran

Hard to say. If its making noise its already missing some needle bearings. All it needs to do is make its way to the oil pickup tube and thats all she wrote. I'd drain the oil and fish around with a flex magnet. its also possible its been doing it long before you bought it (unless noise just started) and could have already been drained out on previous oil change.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Yup it's me!

Sounds like I may need to get a good powerful magnet to stick on the bottom of the pan in the mean time. So it's a matter of the needles coming out making the tick not the hydraulics giving out? It seems if that was the case it'd be ticking all the time even when it is cold, but it doesn't tick nearly as loud if at all when it's stone cold.

Chip Live Tuned from PHP
TransBTS
466hp #2 only 806hp NČO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode