Thoughts on my head gasket test - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thoughts on my head gasket test

I had my truck in the shop for some other issues so I had them test head gaskets, figured it was coming sooner or later. I don't puke coolant and have added less than a quart of coolant since last summer when I towed a lot.
Shop says guaranteed head gaskets are bad based on hydrocarbons in coolant. Coolant was flushed when I did water pump 12 months ago. Hooked up pressure gauge to degas bottle today. 70 degrees outside. ECTs at 190 and EOT at 192 I did about 5 WOT runs to 75 mph. first run after temps were up pushed pressure to 10 psi. The last two and hardest runs the pressure got up to 11. Pressure didn't drop while driving. 5 minutes after shutting down the pressure dropped to 5.
Is it time for gaskets/studs?

03 F-350. EGR delete, ARP studs, BPD 7.3 fan clutch, coolant filter, cat delete, AT, 3.73s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 01:21 AM
My other twin turbo...

Re: Thoughts on my head gasket test

I'm far from an expert but that sounds healthy to me. There will be a pressure rise from the coolant volume expanding with a sealed system in good shape. I would think the rate of decay back to zero would be a good telltale for a very small leak if you compared it to a known rate with an identical truck. Bad head gaskets are normally evident with enough pressurization to the degass bottle to cause an escape through the cap if the leak path is into the combustion chamber or a detectable loss of coolant with no observable external leaks to the system. I have observed that small head gasket leaks get worse with time and if you have one you will know for sure eventually.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 01:50 AM
PSN Local

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg465 View Post
5 minutes after shutting down the pressure dropped to 5.
Do you have a known good cap on the degas bottle? Down to 5 psi in 5 min. that's fast. Mine will hold full pressure for days. Good deltas though, i'm jealous.

05 F350 cclb dually, egr delete, blue spring upgrade, coolant filter, cat and muffler delete, scanguage II

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 02:53 AM
PSN Local

Well lets see--pressure is good, not puking, temps are good. Heads are good!!! I'd say they are trying to get an extra 5k out of you. As far as the slight coolant loss--could be about anything that's attached to the cooling system. It might be leaking when just cold. Just mt .02

2006 F350 4X4 CAB CHASSIS w/ Truck Bed
Blue Spring, Mishimoto tstat
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

thanks for the input. Degas cap is new Ford cap.
How much pressure is bad? enough to puke? Only thing I've read is new gaskets and studs 5-6 psi and 10 in hot weather towing heavy.

Will I see a few more psi in 100 deg weather towing a grade?

03 F-350. EGR delete, ARP studs, BPD 7.3 fan clutch, coolant filter, cat delete, AT, 3.73s.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 04:02 AM
PSN Local

Over 15 I believe. One thing to try is get it up to temp, relieve the pressure, then do the runs. I think I've read it shouldn't build pressure ( or minimal)

2006 F350 4X4 CAB CHASSIS w/ Truck Bed
Blue Spring, Mishimoto tstat
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 02:39 PM
PSN Veteran

My truck, even after fresh studs, will build some pressure as it gets to operating temp. If you release pressure and it builds back up you have an issue. Mine will build nothing after i release it and go do a long WOT run on a hot tune.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Just did round two of test. Drove it around normally until ECTs were 190. Pressure was 7 psi. Relieved pressure and did 3 long WOT throttle runs and saw 0 psi on gauge. Keeping my $ for now!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:01 AM
Administrator

i would also keep your coin

when you hit 16 fast its the HG's and the of psi is rapid it purges coolant as well as air out the cap

your test looks fine to me

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 06:47 PM
My other twin turbo...

Bear in mind you want pressure, this helps lower the boiling point further.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode