Parking Brake Pedal Goes to Floor - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Parking Brake Pedal Goes to Floor

Hey guys,

When I apply the parking brake, the pedal usually goes to the floor. I can release and apply the pedal and after 2-3 tries it usually grabs. When it grabs it engages immediately and holds tight.

In my searches I've seen people recommend changing the backing plates at each wheel because they're rusted out, and I've also seen people point toward the pedal assembly saying the cable is slipping thru a pawl.

Anybody have this issue and what solved it for you?

Thanks

2005 F250 Supercab Lariat 4x4
ARP Headstuds, blue spring upgrade, coolant filter, Powerslot cryo rotors, Hawk Pads, MBRP catback, Isspro fuel pressure gauge, Stock Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 07:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Parking Brake Pedal Goes to Floor

They need to be adjusted.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzhotrod View Post
They need to be adjusted.
Nah, really???

Wow thanks. Read the post next time, not just the title

ARP Headstuds, blue spring upgrade, coolant filter, Powerslot cryo rotors, Hawk Pads, MBRP catback, Isspro fuel pressure gauge, Stock Tune

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 09:29 PM
PSN Veteran

Wow, post #2 and you already have attitude? Most people wait until at least 4-5.. lol

Did you do a visual inspection? It might be worth a shot to have a brake shop give you an estimate to see if you even want to mess with it.

2006 F350 Lariat Tow Boss W/training wheels.

SCT W/GH's tunes, ARP's, Blk & Heads milled, Strictly RR and aux coolant lines, 6" Aussies, Snow MPG-Max, BPD: VK688,EGR, W/Pump, and FICM, Coolant filt, Train Horns, CTS (Monitor only) + Autometer backups

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Muley 9-25-09
Keep on Honkin' Jerry 04-05-10
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Did you actually find that response helpful?

If so then my apologies for poopooing all that insight.

I guess a really detailed analysis would something like "broken part needs fixed, then parking brake needs adjusted"

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 01:42 PM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slated4Greatness View Post
Wow, post #2 and you already have attitude? Most people wait until at least 4-5.. lol

Did you do a visual inspection? It might be worth a shot to have a brake shop give you an estimate to see if you even want to mess with it.
I never wait until post 4...

Check you parking brake (in cab) assembly. The cable rides on a "wheel" which is really two pieces of sheet metal welded together. I bet they have separated and when you apply the brakes the cable slips into the gap. If i push mine down too hard it will separate the plates and stick on. Since it does eventually work i bet it is the pedal assembly and nothing under the truck.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 07:28 PM
Administrator

good call I was scrolling down to post the same and you had it covered

definitely the pedal actuator since it does grab and work eventually it eliminates all other items

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode