Glow plug issue??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Glow plug issue???

Long time lurker here......

So this winter has been rough. Basically I have 3 codes on my edge evolution telling me I have 3 bad glow plugs. I have to plug the truck in damn near every day to get it to start in the morning. When looking at the ECT and EOT, if it is anything less than 35 degrees, I cant get the truck to start for the life of me. If I plug it in, the block heater works great (thank god) and the temp climbs. Once around 40 degrees, the truck fires up no problem. I am running Rotella T6 in the winter with guidance from here. The FICM was repaired by FICMrepair.com about 1.5 yrs ago. When its really cold, I glow the plugs for 20 seconds, then glow them again for 15 and try to start it. Usually its a no go.

My questions is would 3 bad plugs really cause a no start or could it be the GPCM. Is there a way to test the module? I have read the tips on the glow plug testing but in all honesty I think I'm just gonna replace all 8 if I am in there. I just think something more has to be wrong for this thing to not want to start at all when the motor is 32 degrees. When it warms up to at least 40 it starts flawlessly.

My programmer has the following 3 DTC codes:

P0671
P0673
P0676

No check engine light on. If I try to clear the codes they come right back.

Anyone got any ideas at all?

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 02:05 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Glow plug issue???

check the resistance of the glow plugs through the harnesses with a multimeter, that will be the easiest way to tell a module from a plug issue. More than likely its a glow plug problem.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 08:52 PM
PSN Veteran

first thing ; once you turn your key on the glow plugs will be on for about 1-2 minutes. i forget the cycle time. you do not have to turn the key off and back on. the pigtails on the dash going out just means that the cylinders are warm enough for proper-ish combustion.

sounds like a plug issue, just because when my GPCM died it kept giving me a glow plug control module code failure.

Admin of BCCR

2007 f-350 CC/SB Lariat --SOLD--

2006 F-350 CC/SB Harley Davidson

- 205/100s
- Custom twin superduty pump fuel system W/ RR
- BW S366
- 4" exhaust to dual 5" tips
- air raid CAI
- 80k miles
- levelled, 35s
- Bulletproofed
- Gearhead tuning

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 09:01 PM
PSN Newb

Talking Re: Glow plug issue???

GPCM! 3 bad plugs at once. Highly unlikely.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 09:06 PM
PSN Newb

Wink Re: Glow plug issue???

Also you can also have glow plug failure code/s and have a bad GPCM. Check both harnesses to be absolutely sure. Let use know what you find. Good luck!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 11:37 PM
PSN Newb

I really didn't want to start another thread about the same issue, so I'll just tag off this one.

I recently got a CEL on my 2006 F-350 and the codes are as follows: P0672, P0676, and P0677. I've replaced the GCPM and it didn't do the trick, so I then disconnected the two main harnesses into the module and back probe each corresponding one to the perspective cylinder to test resistance of each.

1 - 1.3/4 ohm
2 - OL
3 - 1.3/4 ohm
4 - 1.3/4 ohm
5 - 1.3/4 ohm
6 - 443.1 ohm
7 - OL
8 - 1.3/4 ohm

The readings are obviously accurate given my results match the codes being thrown with the CEL, but my question from here is how to eliminate the plug and/or the harness?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 01:59 AM
PSN Veteran

Usually you do the harness at the same time. They usually crumble apart when you remove them anyway. 99.9 times out of a hundred it will always be the glow plug itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 03:58 AM
PSN Newb

I will update and let you know upon me diving into it how it comes out and take some pictures as I've already replaced the GCPM, so guess next it's the harness and plugs..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 01:25 PM
PSN Veteran

I'd try to return the GPCM as you replaced a good part.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 04:06 AM
PSN Newb

I'm gonna try and return the GPCM like you mentioned above as that wasn't the concern. I tore it down in about 2.5 and repaired the problem.

Insight as working was the $21 tool for removal of the harness works well if used properly that I bought from NAPA. Cleaned o-rings and re oiled as I checked continuity on both harnesses and all is good. So next I started pulling plugs, verifying same size and checking resistance as I removed each one. The 3/8" rubber hose worked well to prevent dropping glow plug in cylinder. I originally started with 2 codes for cylinders 2 and 7. Then within a week it turned into 2, 7, 4, and 8. Which made me lean toward the GPCM, but today upon removal I checked codes one more time and it was 2, 4, 6, 3, 5, and 7 and surprisingly all those plugs failed the ohm test and 1, and 8 passed. It's crazy, but so far no CEL. Will update if anything changes, but so far so good. Now I get some money back for Harnesses not used and hopefully for GPCM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode