BPD oil cooler remote mount manifold..whos used them? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
super tuner

BPD oil cooler remote mount manifold..whos used them?

Im looking at getting the bulletproof diesel remote mount oil cooler manifold so I can use my choice of an oil to air cooler,my question is they offer one type of manifold that uses factory ford oil filter, and the other(which is 200 dollars more) allows you to plumb in your own manifold somewhere and use a spin on type of your choice or another cartridge style. Is ford factory filtration better than something you could build aftermarket? I change my oil more frequently than I should to begin with so Im thinking to just get the manifold outfitted to use factory filter,Ive never had problems with them. Excited to do this, no more 40+ degree deltas and no more worrying about cross contamination when the oil cooler decides to burst.

2005 F250 CCSB Harley edition 4x4 Powerstroke
-Edge Evolution CS
-SCT X3 with custom tunes
-4 inch MBRP exhaust
-ARP headstuds
-bypass coolant filter
-EGR delete

"real cars dont spin the front wheels, they lift them"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Re: BPD oil cooler remote mount manifold..whos used them?

the OEM filter is great if all the plastic internals of the housing stay together and u use OEM or Racor filters and a cap that is up to spec
otherwise you risk bypassing unfiltered oil
so to truly Bulletproof you remove it from the system

i choose to leave it and I went with their new VK688 all inclusive oil to coolant kit

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 10:53 PM
Administrator

another thing is changing your filter more often than needed 5000 miles isn't really an advantage IMO
a good bypass filter would do you a much bigger filtration favor IMO

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 11:04 PM
PSN Veteran

Ive changed oil on a 6.0 with the factory setup about 30 times and have not had a problem, i cant see not using it, but if you want the best and consider that the best....

06 f250 personal, 05 bmw x5 wife, 14 f350 srw work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
it's a 6.0 nervous goes with it
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 11:47 PM
Administrator

if your smart enough to inspect the housing for loose parts every time you pull the filter your way ahead of the game the bypass can still fail and then your not filtering your oil properly but a risk i was ok with

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
super tuner

Yeah I think Ill get the factory filtration manifold, and throw the extra 200 at a cooler. Assuming lines/fittings dont run me a crazy amount of money I should be all in at about a grand when Im done. I need to use a thermostat to keep oil from entering cooler in cold weather, I see 5* mornings frequently in the winter and my truck would never warmup even with the high idle I fear..what is a good temp for the thermostat to open..180*?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 04:57 PM
Administrator

just dbl check that you want to do this as a DIY the disclaimers on the sold separately manifold deserve some attention

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
super tuner

Yeah I read that already and thought oh boy I bet people have f***** this up before lol. Im actually a heavy duty truck technician and install remote transmission oil coolers frequently so I like to think Im pretty familiar with how the cooling systems like to be plumbed,we'll see lol.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 08:28 PM
Administrator

good deal !! and since your not doing a DIY remote filter you save alot of the engineering and oil starvation chances

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 08:18 PM
PSN Veteran

I am running the VK688 kit and it is awesome! The fit and finish of all the components is great!

2006 F350 Lariat Tow Boss W/training wheels.

SCT W/GH's tunes, ARP's, Blk & Heads milled, Strictly RR and aux coolant lines, 6" Aussies, Snow MPG-Max, BPD: VK688,EGR, W/Pump, and FICM, Coolant filt, Train Horns, CTS (Monitor only) + Autometer backups

RIP Muley 9-25-09
Keep on Honkin' Jerry 04-05-10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode