We've all seen an heard stories of diesel experts and even "6.0 experts" touting the ability to unlock all of the mystical properties of the storied 6.0L, solve it's issues and make it reliable. No question, there are some legitimate operations out there, many are supporting sponsors here.
Some...well, are not so legitimate and it appears that I found one. I am not going to reveal the name of the operation in question as we haven't even begun on a resolution and I fear legal action will soon prevail as I have neither the time nor the patience to spar with these folks. Let's just say they are a Dallas area shop with a reasonably well built website and a great story. It seems thats were it both starts and ends.
No need for a long explanation and you don't care, but here's a bullet pointed (not proofed) list of ailments on a truck I bought that supposedly had the heads removed and inspected, EGR
delete done, some aftermarket goodies...and a few things that were supposed to be done that weren't, but that's not salient to the operation of a 6.0 or this post;
- Filthy degas bottle..full of sludge
- three bad brake rotors
- Escaping coolant (still chasing, haven't ruled out bad HG's)
- EOT/ECT delta's approaching 15 degrees
- A/C inoperable
- "WIX" brand oil filter and cap (experts use WIX?) Regardless, oil was dirty and old...no oil change after head removal? Sure...
- Leaking main seal
- Badly worn ball joints
- Insistence that Ford Gold is the best coolant (get's half a pass on this one as some feel this is good stuff...who knows whats really in there though...WIX oil filters anyone?
Point is this: there are places out there selling products and services that aren't what they appear. I bought the sizzle...let's hope there's some steak in this thing.
If you're shopping for a truck, I still maintain that a well done 6.0 can serve you well. DO YOUR HOME WORK and know what you're looking at. Some of the easy stuff can be ID'd at a glance, like the oil filter and the degas bottle. Ask lots of questions and find references from places like...well...