2005 6.0 fuel problem - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

2005 6.0 fuel problem

Ok so heres what ups. I have a 2005 F-350 6.0 PSD. I did fuel filters today(motorcraft) and i get it all back together and start it up and it runs for about 5 mins and it dies. So i opended the filter on top of the motor and i didnt have any fuel. So after messing with it for some time i figured out the pump on the frame rail wasnt working so i pulled the connectors off and cleaned them up and plugged them back it and boom it started working again and i let fuel get up to the filter housing on top of the motor. I then put the cap back on and turn the motor over and it fires right up. Its running a little rough so i let it idle for about 10 mins trying to get the air out. So i jump back in the truck and go to rev it and it dies. So now these is where im at. I checked and im getting all the fuel i need in the top filter housing. To me it seems like there is air from the housing to the injectors. I cranked the motor over a lot with nothing. Not even trying to fire. So my question is there anyway to get air out from the housing to the injectors or is my problem else where. P.S. where can i get a good deal on electric vaccum pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:19 AM
PSN Newb

Re: 2005 6.0 fuel problem

It takes quite some time to get all the air out of there. I recently had to replace my injectors and I let mine run for about 30 mins to help get that air flushed. But one other thing I did was fill the bowl to the top and just watch where the air is coming from to make sure I didn't have any other fuel issues.

2004 CCSB 6.0..........Sinister EGR Delete, Coolant Filter, glowshift gauges, Scangauge II! Auto Enginuity scanner.

RIch
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:34 PM
PSN Veteran

You could try to crack the filter cap and let some diesel flow out of it, but it will make a mess and i dont like doing that. Anybody know if the key cycle will purge the air just like the newer ones?

06 f250 personal, 05 bmw x5 wife, 14 f350 srw work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
it's a 6.0 nervous goes with it

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 03:42 PM
Administrator

you cycle the key but keep in mind the pump times (you should be able to hear this) out so cycle the key for about 10 seconds to the on position about 6 times ( i have watched a fuel psi guage to verify this procedure )
downside is it fires the glowplugs also so make sure your batteries are good

but since the OP has had it running since the change that procedure shouldn't do anything for him, thats just what to do after you change filters

something is up and since it ran fine before the filters I would be really critical of what
you may have done

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
you cycle the key but keep in mind the pump times (you should be able to hear this) out so cycle the key for about 10 seconds to the on position about 6 times ( i have watched a fuel psi guage to verify this procedure )
downside is it fires the glowplugs also so make sure your batteries are good

but since the OP has had it running since the change that procedure shouldn't do anything for him, thats just what to do after you change filters

something is up and since it ran fine before the filters I would be really critical of what
you may have done
Well this morning i after i cranked on it for a like while it started up and idled perfect so i pulled it out of the garage and let it idle for about 5 mins then i when and tried to rev it up and it died instant like i turned the key off. So i cracked the fuel lines at the head and cycled the key and im getting fuel there. Seems like this might be a whole differnent problem. When im cranking it does not even try to fire and nothing at all is coming out of the exhaust.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 07:49 PM
Jackleg Mechanic

If it was running fine before you changed the filters and after said filter change this problem started I'd be looking at the filter and everything to do with the filter I put in it. that has to be where the problem is.

Jeff
06 F350 6.0L CCLB AMARILLO 4X4
- SCT Livewire, Quick Tricks Looney tune, XDP Coolant filter, Blue Spring Mod, High Flow Banjo bolts, Warren's 175/30 injectors with upgraded spools, ARP Studs, PowerMax Stag One Turbo, Bilstien 5100's. Banks 4in turbo back Monster exhaust. All necessary internal bulletproofing. High Idle mod
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:06 PM
Administrator

I agree thats where i would start if i couldn't hook up a scanner

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrkee View Post
If it was running fine before you changed the filters and after said filter change this problem started I'd be looking at the filter and everything to do with the filter I put in it. that has to be where the problem is.
i would agree but i have fuel all the way to the heads and its just not getting out of the injectors. I find it odd that something else would happen random while doing a filter change but i would'nt put anything past this damn 6.0s
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:28 PM
JGman141

You need to take the fuel pressure when the truck is running just so the pump can be ruled out of the problem. Once that's done you need to get a scan tool on it to see what everything else is doing.

2004 6.0 ccsb Warren 430/150 hybrids, Warren Comp Trans, Warren Dual Hpop, Billet S475 w/race cover, Marty's A1000 Fuel System, Colt Stage 2, and all the other supporting stuff
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:03 PM
Administrator

you can have fuel psi but it is dying as soon as you ask for more so thats why we think it may be fuel related that and you just did the filters

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode