What is this sensor / plug? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Question What is this sensor / plug?

I just purchased a 2004 F-350 and am trying to fix all the problems it has. I'm sure I'm going to be spending a lot of time on this forum since I bought from a dealer who got it on a trade and didn't know any history.

One thing I just found today is a corroded wire that was covered in white goop and that was hanging down under the truck close to the passenger side front door / wheel. The outer sheathing of the wire is all broken apart and contains two bare copper wires and a central wire that is further sheathed in rubber/plastic. It looks like the wire was supposed to plug into a sensor or something that's located just behind the starter motor. I'm attaching a photo that I took through the passenger side front wheel well. Could anyone help me identify what this is?

I saw some websites that describe this type of problem, and it looks like this may be for the block heater. However, I think my block heater is working fine since I had to use it a few times over the past couple of weeks due to really cold weather where I am in Chicago. Also, the truck starts and drives fine and there are no codes. I just happened upon the wire because I was getting ready to update the tie rods and ball joints.

Thanks for any help!

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (16.0 KB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 12:48 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: What is this sensor / plug?

If I'm seeing things right. The red in the picture is wire to starter. Thus the starter is just below said issue. On my 04, that is exactly where my block heater is. There is nothing else in that area. I just stepped over to the truck to take a peak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I'm hitting easy street on mud tires"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 12:54 AM
PSN Veteran

Here, I just took this picture of the block heater in my truck. From underneath
between the frame and motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford 6.0L block heater.jpg (8.8 KB, 16 views)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! You're seeing things right. It got a little too cold and dark for me to trace the wire the other way, but I'm going to try to look at it more closely in a couple of days. I appreciate the help!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 12:58 AM
PSN Veteran

No problem. We are just siting here having an adult beverage!

Good luck.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: What is this sensor / plug?

Wish I were there! That last photo you sent looks like the same thing I'm looking at. I'm attaching a photo I just took from a similar angle as you did. I can even see the red sheathing around the wires now after crumbling away the corrosion. Thanks for helping me identify it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo2.jpg (12.2 KB, 13 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode