Low oil pressure pump siezed - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Low oil pressure pump siezed

I took my 6.0 with 190,000 miles to my dealer and they pulled the front cover off of the engine. (sorry, I don't know the technical terms) what they found, if I understood them right, was a bearing on the crank shaft went out causing the crank shaft to move forward and raming the gear on the low pressure oil pump into the wall of the front cover. They said they have never seen this before and that best cause scenario, they would have to pull the motor out, check everything, replace the bearing, pump, and front cover, and only be in it around $5k. Worst case scenario, metal would be in the rest of the engine and it would need a new engine which could be up to $18,000 depending on how much is still good on mine.

Has anyone had something like this happen? If so, what did you do and what would you suggest?

I feel like since I'm that deep into it, with it being out of the truck and having 190,000 miles, I should have everything like heads, high pressure oil pump, etc inspected.

But then I start thinking that if I'm going to spend that much money on a 6.0, why not just put a cummins in it.

Any suggestions on what you guys would do in my situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 03:34 PM
whistle tits

Re: Low oil pressure pump siezed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilAnderson1 View Post
I took my 6.0 with 190,000 miles to my dealer and they pulled the front cover off of the engine. (sorry, I don't know the technical terms) what they found, if I understood them right, was a bearing on the crank shaft went out causing the crank shaft to move forward and raming the gear on the low pressure oil pump into the wall of the front cover. They said they have never seen this before and that best cause scenario, they would have to pull the motor out, check everything, replace the bearing, pump, and front cover, and only be in it around $5k. Worst case scenario, metal would be in the rest of the engine and it would need a new engine which could be up to $18,000 depending on how much is still good on mine.

Has anyone had something like this happen? If so, what did you do and what would you suggest?

I feel like since I'm that deep into it, with it being out of the truck and having 190,000 miles, I should have everything like heads, high pressure oil pump, etc inspected.

But then I start thinking that if I'm going to spend that much money on a 6.0, why not just put a cummins in it.

Any suggestions on what you guys would do in my situation?
That dealer tried to stick it in your ass without lube. I bet at worst, you broke a lifter, which trashed the lpop. And 18k for a motor? No way on earth is a stock motor worth that, especially the junk reman motors ford sells.

First thing though, I'd ask to see the low pressure oil pump. It's very obvious when a needle bearing from a lifter goes through a lpop.

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I went and looked at it. And it's obvious that the pump gear was pushed into the housing because of the wear marks

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 07:41 PM
whistle tits

Quote:
I went and looked at it. And it's obvious that the pump gear was pushed into the housing because of the wear marks
How about inside the pump gears? Does it look like metal went through it?

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I don't think so. But I'd have to take a closer look
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 05:47 AM
whistle tits

Quote:
I don't think so. But I'd have to take a closer look
I'd definitely take another look. If no metal went through the pump, you probably have a thrust bearing out of spec, causing the crank to move, which could push the lpop forwards. Or an issue with the crank gear walking.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ya. That's exactly how the dealer explained it. But they said the bearing was seized. Is that common?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 06:39 PM
whistle tits

Quote:
Ya. That's exactly how the dealer explained it. But they said the bearing was seized. Is that common?
Is it a zf6 or an auto?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 07:49 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

$18k for a reman 6.0? Are they charging like $2000/hr labor? Another fail for the stealerships. Guys having to replace 6.4's aren't even paying $18k I don't think....

If you must get a new engine, find a mechanic besides the dealership and look into either J&K engines, or Ashville Engine. Both reman 6.0 long blocks for like $5k. Comes with head studs too.

Side note...if the bearing did in fact sieze as they claim, shouldn't there be some discoloration from heat?

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedSD View Post
$18k for a reman 6.0? Are they charging like $2000/hr labor? Another fail for the stealerships. Guys having to replace 6.4's aren't even paying $18k I don't think....

If you must get a new engine, find a mechanic besides the dealership and look into either J&K engines, or Ashville Engine. Both reman 6.0 long blocks for like $5k. Comes with head studs too.

Side note...if the bearing did in fact sieze as they claim, shouldn't there be some discoloration from heat?
Thanks for showing me the company's. Has anyone had any experience with the Asheville performance 30 coated engine? My truck has some minor upgrades and is used for towing and running down the highway. Not racing or sled pulling. I'm looking for something that'll be reliable, good mileage, and last forever. Is this the engine? Or is it too high of performance?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode