High 6.0 Coolant Temps! Need help please ASAP - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

High 6.0 Coolant Temps! Need help please ASAP

Hey Guys heres the back story. Last Year- EGR delete, new oil cooler, new FICM, New dummy plugs, stand pipe, STC fitting, SCT Tuner (Livewire) 160K current miles

About 3 months ago driving down the interstate, out of nowhere my coolant temp shot up to 244 degrees, oil at 225. I freaked out pulled over and shut it down. Pop the hood, bottle puked everywhere. I loosed the cap, ton of air pressure in their. Put the cap back on, returned truck to stock, been running fine since. Have been running in stock mode for the past 3 months. Really no time to diagnose.

Ive noticed the past week or so my delta temps average anywhere for 6 degrees to 15

Last weekend had a death in the family and had to run to North Georgia/Southeast Tenneesse. The drive was fine until I started hitting the hills. After the first set of mountians/hills my temp skyrocketed again, 252 ECT and 225 EOT. I decided to slow down and keep driving, after about 2 minutes temps regulated to about 199 ECT and 205 EOT. Shortly after, oil temp rose to about 245 and coolant temp was 179. The "Tow/Haul" light started flashing. Temps regulated, few miles later coolant is back in the low 250s again. Got to my destinantion, bottled puking all over the place, refilled it everything seemed normal for the rest of my trip.

Coming back (live in florida) on the flat interstate, going about 75/80, coolant temo started rising again 256, EOT 217. Slowed down to about 60, after about 1 mile, temps regulated and has been fine ever since.

WTF is going on here? Bad Tstat? Blown Heads? Plugged Oil Cooler? Im freaking out because I have to run back up next weekend and need to get this figured out!

Thanks guys, any help is greatly appreciated!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 12:17 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: High 6.0 Coolant Temps! Need help please ASAP

the overheating and puking under load suggests head gaskets for sure. However the all over the place oil temp is a little puzzling. You could have a possible sticking thermostat (closed) which is unusual with these trucks. I doubt your oil cooler is plugged again. Its likely from the heads.

Did you use a Ford oil cooler?

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ford OEM cooler. I have no white smoke, no power loss, no oil in coolant

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 03:26 PM
PSN Veteran

many times there wont be any of those with head gasket problems on this engine.

"T" into one of the degas bottle overflow hoses (small hoses) with a 0-20 psi gauge and drive it hard. If it builds pressure on acceleration, headsgaskets are toast.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 04:47 PM
PSN Local

I agree with the sticking T-stat. If something was plugged, you'd think the temps would be consistent. And having it skyrocket just going down the highway (no real load) seems very odd.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode