Buying a 6.0L What to look for? Newbie! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Buying a 6.0L What to look for? Newbie!

Hey you guys, I'm new here. Lurked the forums for the last couple of months and finally recently made an account.
Later this week I'm going to pick up my first diesel.
It's a 2004 6.0L crew cab with just north of 150k miles.
Yesterday I went and looked at it, test drove it, etc.
Everything seemed to work well.. but I'll spare my pride and be completely honest by saying I have no clue what to look for.
I didn't see any oil or other liquid leaks.
I did some google research regarding EGRs, etc.. but didn't find much REAL valuable knowledge.

What all should I be looking for?
The current owner said the egr is deleted, but has no documentation. How can I tell if he's right?
Also, I have an actron OBD II scanner. Should I take it with me? Is it going to tell me anything valuable on a diesel?
I'm so excited I can't hardly stand it.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Buying a 6.0L What to look for? Newbie!

Also noticed in the picture of the engine bay that there is some white streaking on the degas bottle.. Is this bad news?

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 06:56 AM
PSN Veteran

Actron won't do what you really need to check out a Ford 6.0L diesel.

Torque APP and bluetooth adapter would work, or a Scangauge II with the right PIDs loaded.

There are a few things you need to check, like FICM, ECT vs. EOT temps. And such.

That white on the degas bottle could be as simple as spillage from someone topping it off, to the cap being old (which it is by the way) Or extreme side head gasket issues.

You need to know if it is a early build 04 or late build. Easy way to check is to look at the passenger side valve cover and see if the ICP sensor is there.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a link to read if you haven't already. Don't fall in love with a truck until you know it well. There is always another one.

Buying a USED 6.0L - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

also, about EGR delete. See the part with the number hand written on it? That is the EGR cooler. If it is not there, it has been deleted. If it is there, it still could be "stealth delete".

[IMG][/IMG]

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I'm hitting easy street on mud tires"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 02:05 PM
PSN Veteran

I took a look at the link, good info. I would get a bluetooth adapter for 30$ and torque app for $5 before buying so you can look at the health of the engine. Power brake to 20 psi and hold for 10 to 30 secs. This is a usefull technique for turbo diesel automactics and it needs to be able to do it. Change the fuel filters right away and at 5000 miles for a dirty truck and 10k for clean truck. Ask if the truck has been sitting and how long. If it has the turbo will need cleaning. Auto 4x4 turn it on, if the ac goes to the vents you have a broken vac line. I would look for a 05 or newer since the updated look is much better than the 04s, the link says 06 or newer, that might be a good idea.

06 f250 personal, 05 bmw x5 wife, 14 f350 srw work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
it's a 6.0 nervous goes with it
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for the posts guys. So a white streak off the degas bottle doesn't mean problems.. It could just mean they spilled it pouring, etc?
That's good to know. I was a bit worried!
Also, what are the pros and cons of an eary/late 04 model? As in, why does it matter?
Also, the egr picture you posted.. Is that something I can see without removing anything in the motor?

I'm planning on taking it to a mechanic before I buy. Can any old mechanic tel it's condition or should I take it to a diesel mech? Could a diesel mechanic tell me about the egr, spot coolant/oil leaks and gasket issues?
Thank you for all the help!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 05:23 PM
PSN Veteran

EGR cooler can be seen just looking at the right area. Which is right behind the CAC tube coming off the turbo. The CAC tube has that black/blue oil soaked rubber feeling boot on it. Just look down behind it. Those boots will probably need replacing.

Also, see that little blue hose? If it is an orange one still, that will need replacing in the near future also.

Yes, take it to a diesel mechanic that knows 6.0L motors. Thing is, some of the tests you need looked at should be done when the truck is stone cold. Then go from there, all the way to operating temps and a nice drive down the highway, still while looking at numbers (ECT vs. EOT temps)

You can also take the vin# to a Ford dealer and ask to see the Oasis Report for the truck. It will show what was done to the truck while under warranty. Repair wise.

"I'm hitting easy street on mud tires"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 05:48 PM
PSN Local

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh923 View Post
Also, what are the pros and cons of an eary/late 04 model? As in, why does it matter?
Check out this link...6.0 Bible - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

05 F350 cclb dually, egr delete, blue spring upgrade, coolant filter, cat and muffler delete, scanguage II
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Mike, several people have already referenced that post. I've looked through it. It's way too much content for someone who needs advice in buying a truck to dig through to find out something as small as differences between the 04, 05, and 06 models. I'd have to look through every page of every topic of every section of each year.
Thanks though!
Eventually I'll look through it page by page, but that's something to do after I own a 6.0L.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 10:48 PM
PSN Local

Pressure Test and cold start is a good idea

'15 Ford F250, 4x4, Auto, CC, SB, SRW, Stock
'06 Ford F250, 4x4, Auto, CC, SB, SRW
Studs, Powermax w/Batmo, Stock Sticks, Sinister EGR Cooler, Coolant Filter, 4" turbo back, K&N, Innovative tunes
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 08:01 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Take the degas cap off the tank and look underneath it (the cap). If that white dried up coolant streak is from it pushing coolsnt out (I.e. Blown EGR cooler, or HG issue), the underside of the cap will be crusty white (like between the outside edge of the cap and the spring I side it). People can clean up puking around the tank, but they rarely think about cleaning residue from the underside of the cap.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in