fix or sell - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

fix or sell

I have a choice to make. My 06 F250 CCSB 6.0 has 220k miles. Has had basically 0 maintenance other than tires brakes and oil changes. Truck runs good and drives great. The issues are stiction, turbo sticks, and found out today all the ball joints need replaced. I was going to dump about 20k in her, new turbo, injectors, studs, oil cooler, programmer, egr delete, ball joints, build the tranny....etc. Basically trying to build a truck that will last another 200k miles without any issues. Great right?

Then the wife throws a wrench in there....she is worried even after the modding and repairs it will be a money pit that we have to keep dumping money into. She wants me to take the money and buy a different truck. Either a suburban/expedition or F150/Silverado.

What would you do and why???? Is this thing gonna eat me out of house and home with little things at 250-300k miles or once fixed last forever? Thanks for the thoughts, I have some thinking to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: fix or sell

Oh, and I don't need a diesel, I love it but maintenance is high (not a huge deal) and the heaviest load I have pulled to date with it is about 7k lbs. (Expedition on a 16 ft trailer)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 10:24 PM
Jackleg Mechanic

If you put that much money in it and it is refurbished by a competent person and he uses quality parts, doesn't cut corners and torques things down right I'd say you'll be good to ride it for another 200k or more. Just my $.02

Jeff
06 F350 6.0L CCLB AMARILLO 4X4
- SCT Livewire, Quick Tricks Looney tune, XDP Coolant filter, Blue Spring Mod, High Flow Banjo bolts, Warren's 175/30 injectors with upgraded spools, ARP Studs, PowerMax Stag One Turbo, Bilstien 5100's. Banks 4in turbo back Monster exhaust. All necessary internal bulletproofing. High Idle mod

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:16 PM
PSN Veteran

i agree completely^ . thats a lot of ifs and buts. Can you do any of that work yourself? such as balljoints ? the delete and oil cooler? could help cut down some of the costs. think of it this way.. if you're not making a payment on the truck the money that would be going there is for your maintenance. lets say you do all that work to it, and it spits a rod ( doesn't happen often at all unless high hp ) at 280k .. throw a good used motor in there. a weekend of work with a buddy and a couple grand. Id keep it.

Admin of BCCR

2007 f-350 CC/SB Lariat --SOLD--

2006 F-350 CC/SB Harley Davidson

- 205/100s
- Custom twin superduty pump fuel system W/ RR
- BW S366
- 4" exhaust to dual 5" tips
- air raid CAI
- 80k miles
- levelled, 35s
- Bulletproofed
- Gearhead tuning
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:24 PM
PSN Newb

Tough call....but as has been pointed out, IF you have a payment on something different, then really....what's the difference?

Unless you buy brand new, you're just trading a known for an unknown.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 12:09 AM
"Slap hands slap hands"

20K is a lot to throw at a used truck with that many miles on it but a lot of guys here have done it and more. I have easily spent 15K some by choice unfortunately others by necessity as I have had several problems with mine. I would make sure you get it fully bulletproof fed with that money especially the head studs since it will all be apart anyways. I wouldn't go too big of injectors or turbo or anything like that as my experience in the past is the more you mod things the more you open yourself up for issues and potential problems especially if the mechanic makes mistakes or doesn't know what he is doing etc.... If it was me I would keep things lightly upgraded or stock on turbo and injectors and upgrade all possible problem components like oil cooler, head studs etc.... And run it for another 2-300K hopefully. Good luck and keep us posted. Wish ford had a f-150 diesel to offer you that sounds like it would be perfect for your needs.

JB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 01:01 AM
PSN Veteran

Take that 20k and get a 6.7

06 f250 personal, 05 bmw x5 wife, 14 f350 srw work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
it's a 6.0 nervous goes with it
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Mods would be light, powermax and casserly 155s, I can turn a wrench and would do the front end myself, but I don't have the ability to pull the cab and stud it, so it will be going to a reputable shop for that and tranny build. I would be doing everything else. I'm just about convinced on a 11-12 f150 with 5.0 v8. For the money in the truck I can just about buy the f150 with less than 70k miles. No matter what I do it would be cash, no payments either way. If I buy another truck it won't be a diesel. I love it but don't need it and can save on the maintenance expenses by going half ton.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 10:44 PM
PSN Local

Have you had trans issues? Why go into it?
Bullet proofing - $5000
Ball joints- $1000
New PowerMax Turbo - $1600
Injectors- $3000~ ( labor covered in bullet proofing)
Tuning- $650
Trans Service- $250

Total ~11,500

Or
Trade in value +11,500= great down for Brand New F250
Just don't put the money into it if you think you won't be happy with the result. I did, and the truck is Great!

'15 Ford F250, 4x4, Auto, CC, SB, SRW, Stock
'06 Ford F250, 4x4, Auto, CC, SB, SRW
Studs, Powermax w/Batmo, Stock Sticks, Sinister EGR Cooler, Coolant Filter, 4" turbo back, K&N, Innovative tunes
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

The trans is because it has 220k miles and would rather do it now while it's in the shop and not hear about the truck being a money pit later when it does crater. The parts list I have is 10k for egr delete, oil cooler, turbo, injectors, edge insight, sct programmer, studs, gaskets, new front end parts, coolant filter setup, all fluids, belts, hoses...etc. The truck is completely factory except for magnaflow exhaust and has never seen maintenance except oil changes, brakes, filtere, and tires. The labor to pull the cab and do the studs is 3k including putting on all new parts going back in since they are pulling most of it anyway, that includes time at machine shop for the heads, plus rough guess of 6k for full tranny build I am at 19k but in my view that's basically a new truck. My wife is concerned about the motor giving the ghost soon after or the truck just having odds and ends nickle and diming us.I just have a feeling it won't be long, my deltas the other day idling were 20*, stock egr setup. I know if that happens the wife will make me sell it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode