20 psi boost driving only 10 power brake - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

20 psi boost driving only 10 power brake

Hi everybody, new here. I have a 06 f250 and have a slight issue that google and i cant figure out. A little background.

I first drove a 6.0 back in 2005 when my girlfriends dad bought one new for his company and a short time later i started working there, and still is. We used to have 4 or 5 6.0s, 2 were rolled and the others we had to 200k each, so i have roughly 200k behind the wheel of a 6.0. Last February i decided to buy a pickup and spend a little money on one, the $700 81 f250 wasnt cutting it, and got my 06 f250 lariat with 200k for 13.5k.

So a while ago i get the p0266 code, or whatever the cyl2 imbalance code is and the underboost turbo code. I changed my oil to motorcraft 10w30 with a can of seafoam per my buddie the ford mechanics orders with a hastings filter and fuel filters, they worked in our trucks so i ran those. Cleaned the ebp tube and sensor (looked new) egr valve(not stuck) maf and checked all the cac hoses. Had a hole in hose no 2 and replaced it. Tube no 1 was pretty blue so its kinda new. So far i think i fixed the turbo code. Friday i got a bluetooth ob2 connector and torque app and have observing the vgt and have seen it commanded to all the ranges.

From what i can tell my hpop is healthy, goes to 4.5k, oil cooler is good, 5 deg, and possibly need a thermostat, 180 deg. When driving the power is low under 10 psi, but after you get over it it has tons of power, i have seen 22 psi easy, but when i power brake it only gets up to 10 psi. I powered brake all my other 6.0s to 20 psi to get out of mud a million times.

The cyl 2 imbalance code came back today and the p0401 egr code has been thrown since i messed with the egr. Also have pending p0500 powertrain, P1000 powertrain, p1352 body, And u2023 network.

What should i check next? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 06:37 AM
PSN Local

Re: 20 psi boost driving only 10 power brake

hm, may have an injector acting up? or glow plug?
check the wire going to the rearend too.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

That was my thought, idle sometimes is rough and sometimes not, im new to stiction but i dont think i have it. Ill have to try to get ahold of my buddy to see how they are running, i would think being this far down on power it would throw the code more or still build past 10 psi. Anything else to look at?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:35 PM
they call me tater salad

does it have an aftermarket exhaust on? ive seen the stock cat plug up causing almost the same situation

08 white cclb 4" straight pipe into 8'mitre cut black stack,dpf delete,egr delete,arp studs,6" fabtech lift,metal mulisha wheels wrapped im 37" toyos,sct running extremex,kenwood double din running two ten inch type r through a m1000,homemade front and rear bumpers, beamers hids
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 06:00 PM
PSN Veteran

You probably need an injector (imbalance code), a VSS (rear differential), and either have a bad egr valve, clogged EGR cooler or possibly a sticky unison ring. I dont recall what the communication code is off the top of my head. Dont worry about the P1000, that just means it hasnt run the onboard monitors.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Forgot to mention i had dead batteries at the start of the winter, changed them with new delco golds. Ficm runs at 47.5 to 48, had a cold start when the truck had been sitting and it went down to 45.5, but other then that its a solid 47.5 48.

I have seen the egr commanded up to 29.5 and it not throw the code, it never threw it before it started with the p0299. Takes about 10 mins or more of driving to throw it. When i was cleaning it, it would get stuck out at its full stroke. Im gonna do a freeze plug delete sooner or later.

From what i can tell, truck is stock. Looks like a 4" straight exhaust is in my future.

The exhaust doesnt smell the way i remember, or im used to the new trucks, or not used to them running in a garage.

I did put a blue spring in, gasket was leaking.

Thanks for the replys, i thought i knew these trucks good until i owned one.

06 f250 personal, 05 bmw x5 wife, 14 f350 srw work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
it's a 6.0 nervous goes with it
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Come to think of it, my mpg has gone down a lot. It started around 12-14, now its 9 mpg. This is all town driving. I think my next move will to delete the cat. What values should the ebp be? Thanks.

Quote:
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 08:11 PM
they call me tater salad

not sure on on the values ive always just unhooked it and went for a ride to see if it made a difference

08 white cclb 4" straight pipe into 8'mitre cut black stack,dpf delete,egr delete,arp studs,6" fabtech lift,metal mulisha wheels wrapped im 37" toyos,sct running extremex,kenwood double din running two ten inch type r through a m1000,homemade front and rear bumpers, beamers hids
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Got it the epb up to 50 psi with 12 psi boost, wondering if thats a lot

Quote:
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 04:18 AM
PSN Veteran

I guess the cat could be stopped up casueing some of your problems, or it could be causing the mileage drop as well. but your mileage drop so much it sounds like a boost leak just my 2 cents.

its cheap to check the boots. if their bad I brought all four of mine from ratcliff diesel

2008 got a new flex pipe installed. S-b intake, 4in dp back exhaust, gear head tunes All deletes done now.
flow pro hot pipe. CCV mode.

2013 dodge charger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode